Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Too young to dive?

where will she be doing her open water dives?
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    where will she be doing her open water dives?
    Unless Diver's Supply changes the current cert trip itinerary, she will be doing her dives at Blue Grotto and Rainbow River. (North Florida)
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Very cool, This past summer 3 members of my local Dive Club certified 3 girls under 16. The enthusism was intense!!

Registered Users

Default Divers Supply

Dalehall and 12 yo niece,
    Divers Supply is just down the road from where I live.
    Blue Grotto is a nice place.. A couple of large platforms for the students
    to use. Awesome scenery for them too. For those who have not been there
    the platforms are just outside the entrance to the cavern. THey will be able
    to look into the cavern from their training location. The opening is very wide
    and tall. I suspect Divers Supply will perform open water checkout 1-3 there,
    then head to the river for the fourth and final checkout. Followed by that
    is probably the drift dive. An Adventure dive. Make sure to get the student
    to get drift dive checked off in their log book, if they maybe want to move on
    to more advanced levels in the future. The drift dive they will do may be counted
    toward the drift diver specialty certification.
    Good luck on your OW cert. Glad to hear you'll be joining the ranks of the
    elite. Going to places the majority of the world has only seen on TV.
    What an exciting adventure you have ahead of you. I am very happy for you.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by lars2923; 03-06-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Thanks Lars.. Yes, I think she is really going to like it.. Her mother (my sister), her dad and older brother are all certified, so she will round out her entire family. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my family. Wife isn't interested and baby is only 8 months old. (Only 9 years and 2 months until her certification!!!)
    Diver's Supply has been great to me since the time I went up there before I was certified. They helped me in many of my choices along with any advice I ever needed. Never pointing me to the most expensive, just to the ones they thought would help me the best. Great Group of folks..
    They used to use Ginnie Springs and Orange Grove for the check dives, but now they seem to bounce around from Ginnie, Orange Grove, Blue Grotto, Rainbow River and a couple more.. Nice for the instructors so they don't go the same place all the time.. And since I'm about to start my Divemaster training, I won't have to go to same places all the time either.
    I'll come back and brag about my niece when she completes her dives 4-5 May.
    **D**
    Adopt a Manatee

Registered Users

to several of the recent posters..

we are in key west now but will be moving back to our house in orange park soon...

my children are 13 and 10 and will be going through their junior certs after Easter. i have them do swims and basic skills (without scuba) in preparation. i make up pop quizes for them. sometimes i tell them there is a test, sometimes i don't. i want to make sure they know the things they need to know. i have them set up my gear before i go dive. all this and they have not had one "official" dive class. of course i'm in college for diving so that is what i think about 90% of the time and they hear me talk about partial pressures, rescue techniques, NDL's, MOD's bouyancy control etc... and they are understanding what i'm talking about. we were wacthing the video of david shaw's attempted rescue and they were asking questions like "could his twitching be from CO2?" or "is that what a CNS hit?" they don't understand fully, but they are aware of things and i think they will be great divers

dano
    I love my job as a Parachute Rigger... but I'd rather just dive!
    Dano

Neat teaching tool. Although you are into further than I am. My kids would watch videos and ask questions all the time when my wife and I were taking our ow class. That was 8 years ago. Last September my 11 year old earned her certification with little help from either one of us. Very proud Dad!

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction...

Keep up the good work!

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Awesome Dano.. I know you can't wait to get them certified.. My niece will do her check dive May 4-5.. Can't wait to do with her. I love to pass this stuff on to anyone that will listen to it.. By the way, I just earned my Rescue cert this past weekend.. Awesome class!!
    **D**
    Adopt a Manatee

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234