Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too young to dive?

Registered Users

Default Too young to dive?

I got certified at 13 and have never looked back since. I have seen adult dive training students who had no business diving.

Do any agencies set a minimum age for training?

Country
    Cayman Is.

Default age limits

I believe PADI sets a minimum age of 10 for training for a Junior Certification. IIRC, after certification, the 10-year-old has to dive under the direct supervision of a parent or DM/Instructor. My 5-year-old, who is a good swimmer and a decent snorkeler, is already interested in scuba ...

Registered Users

10-12 is the industry average. Personally I look at not only the age but the ability to manage the scuba unit.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherDave View Post
    I got certified at 13 and have never looked back since. I have seen adult dive training students who had no business diving.

I started at 14 with PADI.I can remember it being sooo exciting and it made all the other kids jealous! My daughter just got in the water 3 months ago and loves it. Shes 13

Default Kid size gear

Quote Originally Posted by butch103 View Post
    10-12 is the industry average. Personally I look at not only the age but the ability to manage the scuba unit.
    My kids used 20 cu ft tanks when they were just ankle biter size; Dacor had a small mouthpiece if I recall but it didn't take them too long 'till they were jamming a Cyklon in their mouths.
    Most of the time they hand carried the tank by its valve (old J valves were good hand holders) or tucked it under their arm.

Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherDave View Post
    I believe they all do. A few have a minimum age of 10, but I believe most have a minimum age of 12.

To an extent age doesn't matter it's how comfortable you're in the water. WAY too many people get certified whom have no business being in the water. Learn how to swim first!

Age is very important. People mature as they age. One might be more mature at 15 than another at 20, but that same person is more mature at 20 than at 15. No one is mature enough to dive before 12. Damned few are mature enough to dive before 16.

I agree with Walter, but I must also add that I find kids today more mature than what I was at their age. But I think in the end it comes down to the person being able to distinguish between what to do and what not too, being responsible and having your boundaries of limits set. Something a 16 year old will definately be more 'mature' in than a 12 year old.

Registered Users

Default Age and physiology

10 year old for PADI.. Once they turn 15, they may trade their Jr Cert for a
    an Open Water.
    In addition to the age limits are, as mentioned by some members, restrictions
    that they must dive with an adult, parent, DM/Instructor. One reason for
    the age/depth is there are unknowns on the cause/effect of gasses under
    pressure on those little bodies. Being prudently safe. Beside, most of the colorful
    stuff is in the shallower depths anyway. I do agree that starting early,
    training, practice and keeping them excited is a great way to start.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast