Interesing article. Let's be gracious divers, afterall, we are visitors. (either to the country or the dive sites)

Comments?

-------------------------------------------------------

Ontario town moves to regulate 'rude and obnoxious' scuba divers
by LAMAR BENNINGTON @ CDNN - Cyber Diver News Network

August 14, 2009

INNISFIL, Canada — A small town is Ontario, Canada has had enough of rude and obnoxious scuba divers.

Officials of Innisfil aim to regulate scuba divers after numerous complaints accusing scuba divers of obnoxious behavior and dangerous diving procedures in and around the town's public docks.

Big Bay Point Councilman, Dan Davidson, is leading the effort to control mostly out-of-town scuba divers blamed for a series of incidents.

"These people have been obnoxious to the local residents," Davidson said at Wednesday's council meeting. "There were some seniors in their 80s trying to dock their boat and the scuba divers wouldn't let them through. They were told to go dock their boat somewhere else."

Davidson said the situation is completely out of control at the government dock at the end of the 30th Sideroad.

"One fellow who was from another country told me he doesn't have to follow our rules," Davidson said. "We shouldn't have to put up with this type of arrogance."

Davidson also expressed concerns about the failure of scuba divers to exercise proper safe diving protocol including the use of "diver down' buoys.

"About six years ago I witnessed a diver being struck by a boat and she cut her throat," he said. "After seeing something like that it stays with you."

Town officials said they are studying regulatory proposals that will control scuba diving activities around Innisfil's docks while ensuring that local residents are not negatively impacted.

"I just hope we don't end up going after the wrong people," said Councilman Rod Boynton, cautioning that measures such as parking restrictions should not impact on Innisfil residents.