Thread: New shipwreck in Broward County-Video

Country
    USA

Default New shipwreck in Broward County-Video

The Miss Lourdies was a seized drug ship sank off Broward County recently.

Of the videos we were able to find, I thought the below one would be most fitting in keeping the memory of a fellow diver alive.

Daniel M. Fasano, who helped create a new artificial reef off Deerfield Beach with the sinking of the Miss Lourdies freighter in the Atlantic Ocean on June 6, died just three days later of complications from leukemia. He was 47.

''He lived to see his dream fulfilled,'' said Kathleen Malorzo, his sister-in-law. Fasano died Tuesday at Imperial Point Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.

Originally from Rochester, N.Y., Fasano moved to Lighthouse Point in 2004 and founded www.AsSeenOnTV.com, which sells products sold on television infomercials, Malorzo said.

Fasano overcame a fear of the ocean to become a scuba diver in the mid-2000s, before being diagnosed with cancer, Malorzo said.

Despite his illness, friends said Fasano was active in the plans for sinking the freighter, rechristened Miracle of Life, that rests 135 feet deep in the ocean about a mile southeast of the Boca Raton Inlet.

He contributed thousands of dollars to the project, said dive shop owner Arilton Pavan, who called his friend ''passionate'' about the new reef and the undersea world.

In April, Fasano created the nonprofit Miracle of Life Foundation that he hoped would benefit artificial reefs, cancer-fighting causes and HospiceCare of Southeast Florida and its annual fundraising regatta.

The city of Deerfield Beach allowed its pier to be used for fundraising purposes last weekend.

''We had about 300 people on the pier,'' Malorzo said. ``It was a true tribute to Dan.''

Fasano is survived by his wife, Mary Beth, 41, who also works with the company; parents Virginia and Daniel Fasano Sr.; and a sister, Jeanine.

From the Sun Sentinel
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Nice video and good commemoration of a lost diver passing on rich gift to the community. I was able to scooter free dive the Miracle of Life a few hours after it was sunk. This was just five days after doing the same on the newly sunk Vandenberg. It was a push in the case of the Miracle, low brown water visibility about 20ft., strong current and in 140 ft.. Real tough to free dive even with a scooter in such conditions. The video that day was more surreal than useable. I revisited it in probably 110 ft. viz. a while back, what a contrast! I will blend both sets of footage into a video clip.
    Last edited by ricki; 11-30-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am going down there tomorrow. I will try to check out the wreck if I can find a boat that is going that way.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I am going down there tomorrow. I will try to check out the wreck if I can find a boat that is going that way.
    Wow, I hope you're diving early. Our second strong cold front of the season just started and the winds have clocked to the northeast. Wind, waves, winter is here. Good thing there are lulls in fronts when the wind clocks to the west blowing offshore here and lighter periods from the east.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well, I didn't get to dive the new wreck, but I did get in 3 dives. The weather was great, the seas were calm and overall it was a great time. I will post a dive report.