Thread: Divers Dies at Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes, Calif

Country
    USA

Default Divers Dies at Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes, Calif

A 52-year-old Huntington Beach man who had gone diving Saturday was found dead Sunday morning in shallow waters near Malaga Cove in Rancho Palos Verdes, police said.

Police began an extensive search for the man around 8 p.m. Saturday when a friend reported that the diver had failed to meet up at a scheduled time and place earlier in the day.

Rescue helicopters and boats from the Coast Guard, Los Angeles County Fire Department Baywatch in Redondo Beach and the Redondo Beach Harbor Patrol searched an area spanning more than 72 square miles of ocean, authorities said.

The 87-foot Coast Guard Cutter Halibut joined the search later Saturday night until visibility began to fade because of darkness, officials said.

"They had to call it off, but resumed the search first thing in the morning the next day at 6 a.m.," said Sgt. Steve Barber of the Rancho Palos Verdes Police Department, which handled the case with assistance from other agencies.

The man had reportedly left early Saturday morning, saying he planned to go diving for about eight hours. Police found the diver's car in a parking lot with no diving gear inside, police said.

A friend who was supposed to meet him eventually called police, telling authorities he was worried because the man was usually reliable and never stayed out in the water for too long, officials said.

The man's body was found by the Baywatch patrol out of Redondo Beach, fairly close to the shore. It was submerged in waters about 15 feet deep, officials said.

The cause of death is under investigation, but it appears to be accidental, police said.

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office had not released the diver's name as of Sunday afternoon. An autopsy is planned.

source: Daily Breeze
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Langhorne
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    USA

Default A couple of questions

The article was not totally clear about the circumstances of the accident.

Was the man to go diving by himself and then meet up with the friend later? Or was he supposed to meet up with a friend to go diving who notified police when he didn't show? Also, what are water conditions like where the body was found? The article said he was found in shallow water. Did he likely die there or did the current carry him to where he was found?

Very sad incident indeed. I can't help wondering if he had a heart attack or something. This is another sound reminder to never ever go into the water alone.

Country
    USA

The media often times doesn't get it right, or is scant on details...
    SMN Publisher

yes the media is wrong a lot of the time and that was just proven again to me because of a major incident that was covered which I was involved with. It's amazing what came out. But I've dove at malaga several times and it's a shallow dive site for the most part. I really wouldn't dive there except during lobster season and I also believe it was a night dive, or at least the search started in the late night if I remember correctly from anoter article I read.