Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camera advice for a newbie!

Registered Users

Default camera advice for a newbie!

Hi there! My husband and I have just started snorkelling and are going to get our ticket for diving . I am looking for a underwater camera as I had taken my kodak with a dicapac soft case on our first trip, wich worked ok but would like to upgrade as the case did blur things a bit if you were not careful. my question is it better to go with say a cannon g10 ( or if someone knows of a better one?) with the housing or maybe one of the smaller waterproof ones? i see cannon has just released one and olympus has a few.
    I take alot of pictures! not professional by any means but I love doing it!
    any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Country
    USA

The Canon G9 and G10 are quite well regarded. Same goes for the Olympus cameras. I think Canon's have an underwater setting which adds reds to the photo, which really helps.

I prefer a mechanical zoom to a digital one. Get as close to the subject as possible for the best color, and as long as you are close enough, use the flash where it always triggers, whether needed or not.

I know many have the Canon G9 and now 10 in an Ikelite housing, which allows them to later buy an add on strobe which really makes a difference, but you don't have to get a strobe right away, but the housing will support it.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome! If you're into this long term, G10 would be a good buy. You can upgrade and add strobes along the way. I've seen divers using G10 and the photos are very pretty!

BTW, I'm just using a compact HP (what's that!? camera with an underwater casing, works for me since I dive only couple of times a year.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Registered Users

Default RE

Hi Friends,
    Is it possible for you to give basic photograph informations such as shutter speeds and aperture with the photos?

Country
    USA

Cole, I think most of the time the hobbyists are using point and shoot digital cameras on automatic mode.....
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    ....in an Ikelite housing, which allows them to later buy an add on strobe which really makes a difference, but you don't have to get a strobe right away, but the housing will support it.
    Just so everyone knows, you don't have to get the strobe right away, but you should if you can afford to. It makes a HUGE difference in your photo quality, especially if the other option is a built in flash. Backscatter- caused by the flash reflecting off small particles in the water will ruin your photos, a strobe is on an angle which helps to reduce or eliminate this problem.

Just as an example, I have a housing that uses disposable 27 exposure cameras. When using it without the strobe the photos really are just a waste of time, however when I use that same setup with a strobe the photos really come out really nice.

Just my $.02

Registered Users

Hi acelockco.
    You described it nicely and the use of strobe function is very helpful and awesome..

Registered Users

Hey there,
    Yep. just got a G10 myself and are delighted with it... I also bought a pretty basic strobe ( Remora)and are amazed at the difference it makes to the depths of colours..

Country
    USA

Yes, external strobes really "seal the deal"!
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by bcsfromsydney View Post
    Hey there,
    Yep. just got a G10 myself and are delighted with it... I also bought a pretty basic strobe ( Remora)and are amazed at the difference it makes to the depths of colours..
    Congrats!!! Did you get the Canon housing or another brand? My friend has the G10 with the Canon housing and Inon strobe, the photos are really amazing. You should have a great time with your new setup. Now lets see some of your photos!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast