Thread: Best Wreck

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Best Wreck

Ok same again as the post about caves. Whats the best wreck youve dived? What would be the wreck you most want to dive?

Matt

SS Governor in Washington State.
    SS Governor was a 417 foot long passenger liner. In 1921 the Governor was traveling inbound to Seattle from San Francisco with 240 passengers and crew members, when she collided with the freighter S. S. West Hartland and sank within 30 minutes in 240 feet of water, one mile off Point Wilson, with a loss of eight lives.

Rumor is there is a safe still aboard full of "Gold"!!
    Salvage rights belong to a friend of mine's company, so you have to get permission to dive the wreck. Very challenging currents and ussually pretty poor vis, although we had 40ft+ last summer and awesome slack.

Default New Jersey's Best Wrecks?

Best is hard to define. It would depend on the time period and conditions. In the sixties and seventies all the wrecks were pristine and newly discovered. Everything within 20 miles was found using A loran, side scan and paper bottom recorder or bubble scopes. Knowing how to read this rudimentary electronics made the boat captain on par with a magician. When C loran and color screen video were developed these electronics made wreck hunting easier, but beyond 20 miles was still open territory. Today GPS, sophisticated magnotometers and computer enhanced navigation make searching offshore routine. Pristine newly discovered wrecks are always the best because they offer opportunity for more artifacts, lobster and fish. This will continue and stimulate wreck divers. The best wrecks have withstood the test of time and continue to excite divers by their visual relief, by rendering discoveries or due to thier location attracting more marine life. Off New Jersey these remain some of the best for each inlet from north to south: RC Mohawk, Arundo, Stolt Dagali, SS Mohawk, Emerald, Viscaya, San Saba, Great Isaac, RP Resor, San Jose, Almirante, Varanger, City of Athens, Moonstone, Gunboat, Northern Pacific, S-5 ... There are many great wrecks offshore, but these are available to most experienced and new wreck divers; Just an opinion on best wrecks.

Check out our Expedition schedule for more....
    http://www.njwreckdivers.com/charter.htm

Good Wreck Diving!
    Atlantic Diver

well for years I thought that diving the U-352 out of Moorehead City Nc was the coolest dive I had ever done....then I dove the Bianca C in Grenada and that was awesome!!! but then I dove the Mighty O out of Pensacola Fl and that was really cool because of the varity of dive options possible..... but with-out a doubt the best wreck I will ever dive is the one that nobody has found yet......

to be cont....

Mike
    Dive Into Life and Live for Diving!
    www.scubarecoveryco.com

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

My favourite wreck is the James Eagen Lane in Whitsand Bay, Cornwall, England. A WW2 liberty ship torpedoed in 1945. She lies upright at a depth of 20m on an otherwise featureless sandy bottom. The passage of time has taken its toll on her and now her hold lie open, her cargo exposed to the eye of every passing diver. An easy dive, but in size, exploration options, colonisation and sheer variety, hard to beat for me.

One of my diving goals is the USS Saratoga in Bikini Atoll.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by rubber chicken View Post

One of my diving goals is the USS Saratoga in Bikini Atoll.
    That would have to be the one of the dream wrecks of many divers.

Matt

Registered Users

The one I have not dove yet!

State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    The one I have not dove yet!
    I like that answer!!! But I do like the Hydro Atlantic!!
    Tôi khá có nó và không cần nó so với cần nó và ot có nó!!

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

My top wreck dives would be the Carolina off New Jersey, and the E.M. Clark off Hatteras.

My favorite local Long Island wreck is either the Oregon, or the Coimbra. I love them both.

Default I Like

Giannis D in the Red Sea - I think that is the most photogenic wreck I've had the joy of diving.

Best wreck - toss up between the USS Aaron Ward in Iron Bottom Sound, The Iro in Palau - the one I really am looking forward to is The Zenobia in Cyprus - which I get to have a go at in September.

I think Bikini is now closed - I had heard the 'island' on the Saratoga has gone tits up crumble anyhow. Great shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast