Thread: Best Cave

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Best Cave

Been a bit quiet so i thought id put it to people. Whats the best cave you have done? Whether it be fresh or salt water. A full on cave or just a small one it doesnt matter. Its all your opinion.

Matt

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

The one I am currently laying line in

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

The best cave is the one no one else has been in or to!!

Registered Users

As trite as it may sound, the best cave really is, as BamaCaveDiver said, the current one because for me, its about the doing. For some diving, its about what you may find or see. I love wreck diving, and have favorite wrecks, and would respond very differently to the same question about wrecks. But with cave diving, for me, its more about process then outcome.

Stu

The cave that I have the fondest memories of is Little River in Florida. I helped lay cable there in the 70's after 11 fatalities. It was obvious that you couldn't keep 'em out, so try to make it safer.

Or maybe the third cave at Morrison Springs. I got to dive that before the dynamited it shut. GOOD CAVE!! I hate it when they're gone

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by allisonfinch View Post
    I got to dive that before the dynamited it shut. GOOD CAVE!! I hate it when they're gone
    Nothing a little gardening wouldnt fix

Matt

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by allisonfinch View Post
    The cave that I have the fondest memories of is Little River in Florida. I helped lay cable there in the 70's after 11 fatalities. It was obvious that you couldn't keep 'em out, so try to make it safer.

Or maybe the third cave at Morrison Springs. I got to dive that before the dynamited it shut. GOOD CAVE!! I hate it when they're gone
    I have yet to hear anything negative about Morrison prior to the dynamiting. What a waste perpetrated by a back woods sheriff who really did not know any better.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Nothing a little gardening wouldnt fix

Matt
    Don't think it has not been attempted over the years. The dynamiting changed the structure such that there is a blowing flow emerging from a small slit. Attempts to dig out the entrance are typically met with the flow filling it back in. The only way this will ever be accomplished will be with a full fledged dredging operation to suck it clean faster than the flow can react to defeat the effort. I have seen some huge piles of gravel and large rocks removed over the course of days, and then looked at the results to see no change in the opening.

It would be nice to see it opened up once again, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Morrison was a beautiful cave before the sheriff dynamited it closed to "stop that cave from killing any more cave divers". It is quite deep, which is what generated most of the deaths (diving a cave beyond 200ft on air is not safe, but it is how things were being done back then.)

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Might be worthwhile putting your point forward to a higher authority. Tell them its not just a hole in the ground with water in it, its part of a much bigger system since it has a lot of flow and that the flow rate is important. Maybe if you get enough people behind it the government will put the needed funds into it. It might be wishful thinking but its dead in the water if no one asks in the first place. Put it to them as more than just a dive site. Dont even mention that it may help. Get geologists and water management people on board to give it credability. If it all ends with only 2 divers being able to dive it one weekend a month then thats 2 more than are doing it now.

Matt

Registered Users

Default Telford

Telford Spring because it has everything, sinks with light coming down, all different styles, its as long as you want to go, and its free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast