Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marine Littering!

Country
    USA

While I am sure we have plenty of oil left for our lifetimes, the concept of being dependent on foreign governments for oil is a real bad idea strategically.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Default Atlantic Ocean plastic soup!

Following up on the original posting here, I just saw this report on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...tic_ocean_junk

Take a look, plastic trash is now everywhere. When I walk my dog, I see plastic bottles, plastic bags and all sorts of junk, most of which has been washed into storm drains from the streets and then into the local rivers. As Nemo will tell you, all water ultimately leads to the oceans and this stuff doesn't break down quickly.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Country
    USA

There is supposed to be a giant plastic trash heap floating in the Pacific too.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

disgusting!!!!

Country
    USA

For the Pacific mess, you would think someone can send out a dozen big purse seiners and net it all.
    SMN Publisher

Marine litter is any persistent, manufactured or processed solid material discarded, disposed of or abandoned in the marine and coastal environment. Marine litter consists of items that have been made or used by people and deliberately discarded into the sea or rivers or on beaches; brought indirectly to the sea with rivers, sewage, storm water or winds; or accidentally lost, including material lost at sea in bad weather.

Marine litter originates from many sources and causes a wide spectrum of environmental, economic, safety, health and cultural impacts. The very slow rate of degradation of most marine litter items, mainly plastics, together with the continuously growing quantity of the litter and debris disposed, is leading to a gradual increase in marine litter found at sea and on the shores.

Deficiencies in the implementation and enforcement of existing international, regional, national regulations and standards that could improve the situation, combined with a lack of awareness among main stakeholders and the general public, are other major reasons why the marine litter problem not only remains, but continues to increase worldwide. Furthermore, marine litter is part of the broader problem of waste management, which is becoming a major public health and environmental concern in many countries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12