Thread: Tips To Conserve Air In Scuba Diving

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post

Shallow breathing is inefficient, but deeper breathing is more efficient as there is a certain volume if air needed to fill the airways that are not part of the oxygen/c02 exchange system.

Thus allowing a buildup of CO2 in the lungs. That is one of the reasons why they always tell you in SCUBA class to breathe normally, with full breaths.

Oh, by the way it only costs $5 for a refill on air, just take more dives. Your log book will like that better too.

Registered Users

Default What I do

Carry larger cylinders,
    Skip breath
    stay fit*
    wear less weight
    dive as often as possible
    ** breath off buddys octo when not looking ** :-)
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Deerfield Beach
    State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

My rebreather is the only way to go. 6hr+ of air supply no matter what the depth is.

Country
    USA

I used to dive with steel 105's and steel 120. Beuchat now has steel 150's.

At some point you are going to run into NDL's if you are at depth with cylinders that size.

Rebreathers are comparatively a pain compared to the low logistics of open circuit and large steel scuba cylinders, and they are a royal pain to travel with on airlines, BUT, I have yet to run into a no deco limit when diving 4-5 dives a day at resorts when everyone is doing open circuit profiles.

Once in Micronesia we were at 90 feet and the dive guide had to ascend to 40 and just stay looking down at us as he was up against his NDL from repetitive dives. We sure weren't!

But what I wouldn't give for the traveling ease and low logistics of open circuit for traveling!

I wonder how well the new Cis-Lunar Mark 6 travels as they are now shipping.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    Carry larger cylinders,
    Skip breath
    stay fit*
    wear less weight
    dive as often as possible
    ** breath off buddys octo when not looking ** :-)
    SKIP BREATH???? Are you serious? Are you really certified?

City
    Deerfield Beach
    State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    SKIP BREATH???? Are you serious? Are you really certified?
    Some tech divers still do this. I have been told that it can be difficult to "unlearn" this when moving to a rebreather.

Pretty bad article! I'm guessing it was written by someone who wasn't a diver or very inexperienced. Breathe normally and have fun. If you're fat and out of shape get a bigger tank. Dive more and more and all of a sudden your SAC rate drops down. Mine is half of what it was but it took well over a hundred dive! Like everythig practice makes perfect.

Registered Users

Default re:

I remember when I experienced just began diving, I would melt away by means of my oxygen in no time even although other people i experienced been diving with would nonetheless have lots of oxygen to hold on diving. Now which i dive on the frequent basis, I arrive throughout just the opposite getting true. I recently do a shallow dive and was in a location to acquire 1.5 several hours away from the traditional AL80 cylinder!

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Breathing oxygen, you must dive shallow then
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Diving 4-5 diving resort, everyone in the open sections of the day, there was no encounter a decorated restrictions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast