Thread: Tips To Conserve Air In Scuba Diving

Hybrid View

Registered Users

Default 100 dives

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I guess some "tech" divers need to take a step back and go learn or relearn the basics. Maybe they are buying their c-cards instead of really learning/earning them. It just blows me away when I see someone with a Dive Master Certification and only 50-60 dives logged.
    Hey,
    When I finished my 100th pool dive, I became an Instructor!!!
    Doh!!
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Well, different strokes for different folks is all I can say! I will tell you what almost 5000 dives have taught me:

1. Be comfortable in the water and with your gear!
    2. Breath off the top 1/3 of your lungs, you will have better buoyancy control and not waste air. Breath normal for the work your doing!
    3. The less you move the less air you need! DON'T move your arms around and find a steady comfortable kick!
    4. Be warm, even in warm water use a beanie or whatever it takes to stay warm. I did a 2 hour dive starting at 105ft and ending in 30ft. Most at 30ft in 84* water.
    5. Forget about it! The more you concentrate on your usage the faster it will go! (Comfort thing)
    6. DIVE DIVE DIVE Nothing takes the place of burning a lot of tanks under a lot of different conditions.
    7. the better shape your legs and general condition the longer your dive.
    8. NITROX!

I just got back from Bonaire where my avarage dive was over an hour at depth. The only reason it was not longer is my female buddy ran out first and I only have 130lbs on her! And that's pushing a camera that uses up 20% more are.

Also I would rather be 2lbs heavy than 2lbs light, but I would most like to be right on! Less weight means less air! Less mass to push! This is physics and every action has an equal and opposite reaction!

NO SPLIT FINS! Too much movement! Trim: less hoses, less dangles, less drag, and the right attitude! Horizontal!

If you think you can beat me on air consumption your welcome to come along and dive with us to prove it! I am usually the first in and last out, it's not bragging if you can do it
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 01-01-2010 at 03:35 AM.
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Oh the brown eyes.