Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: advice for buying my gear

Registered Users

Default $

Quote Originally Posted by benfuqua View Post
    I have just signed up for dive training, and as I am studying my materials I am getting ready to start buying my gear. So does anyone have any recommendations of favorites or anything I should stay away from. I have to admit it all gets a little overwhelming.
    How much money do you have? :-)

Rent! Keep renting.
    To start though, mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt (get the pouch type with
    zipper, much more comfortable to wear) and a few pounds of weight, oh say
    12 lbs (like 2x4lb, 2x2lb) for example.

Visit all your local shops and see what they offer and rent when you go
    diving. When you find one you like, there ya go.

Here is what I use to give you something:
    Atomic B2 DIN First Stage
    Atomic B2 second stage
    Atomic Z2 Octo
    Zeagle 911 BCD
    DUI 450 Dry Suit, various sizes of wetsuits (ie. 3mm, 5mm, 7mm)
    OMS Slipsteam fins, Mares Volo (Don't really like the volo, not enough umphff)
    95 LP Steel DIN

This stuff you can't see on me (except the lift bag/flares).
    They're all tucked away:
    > Safety Sausage (for ocean diving)
    > Marine Whistle
    > Stobe (Right SHoulder)
    > Small hand held lights (x2)
    > two 10watt Dive-Rite hand held lights
    > 100lb lift bag
    > 3 flares
    > dye markers
    > 10 foot buddy line
    > glo sticks
    > Water proof paper
    > Computer (on my wrist)
    > Compass (in my pocket) (I only pull it out after getting lost! :-))
    > Analog pressure guage (you can see)

It sounds like a lot in qty, but it's really compact. These are some of the
    things you can look forward to purchasing in the future.

Enjoy your class.. Good luck on your purchases.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

Hi New Diver and great to have you on board.
    You can buy the "basic kit" first, mask-fins-slorkel first.
    The mask is arguably the single most important piece of kit you will buy, most of us end up with more than one as a result of mistaken purchaces or equipment updates. Use the "place it on your face and inhale via your nose" technique to ensure good seal, ensure easy acess to nose for aiding equalising, also check the hard parts of the frame are not too close to or touching your nose or nasal bridge. Avoid gimicks like valves and tints.
    Snorkel is important buy a lower cost unit with a clearing valve on bottom bend, top valve is not as useful.
    Green Turtle, your experience is typical and often repeated but it is an instructors nightmare. After over 1000 recreational dives I always use a snorkel, I have needed it twice and on one occation it probably saved my and my buddies life.
    Fins, hmmm try as many on at school as you can to compare, all better brand names are OK, again avoid gimicks like splits and look at stiffer options as they allow better control but do require more effort. Dive-Rite offer great fins with steel spring straps as standard, in my opinion best all round value
    Booties, sure buy a nice high 3mm ankle pair with zip, colours make kit easy to find on the boat floor.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by cowleyp View Post
    buy a nice high 3mm ankle pair with zip, colours make kit easy to find on the boat floor.

That would really depend on the temperature of the water you are diving in. In the tropical regions, many divers use full foot fins without booties. In cooler waters the 3mm booties and fins with straps work best. Now if you are diving in the cold waters, your feet will freeze off using 3mm booties, you will need 6mm+ booties ....or a drysuit with dryboots.

Oceanic is reasonably priced and reliable, the bonus is the customer service, they pretty much replace anything defective for free. when your dve computer needs servicing or your regs or BCD etc you pay for the service and any replacement parts are free! However comfort and what feels right for you is a massive consideration as well. Enjoy your diving!!

City
    SACRAMENTO
    State
    CA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by benfuqua View Post
    I have just signed up for dive training, and as I am studying my materials I am getting ready to start buying my gear. So does anyone have any recommendations of favorites or anything I should stay away from. I have to admit it all gets a little overwhelming.
    So how did or has the certification gone? Just thought it would be interesting to find out.
    Know Limits
    Dive Well
    Dive Another Day
    My Website

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Use your friends gear, Rent, try the instructors, but understand that dive gear has come a long way? Do you need AC or a Radio in your car? No, but it makes the driving experience a better one! The gear you start with will not be the gear you end up with! Unless you ask a lot of questions and try a lot of gear before you buy!

Mask: It has to fit, brand is not important, but quality is!

Fines: Stay away from Split fins it is simple physics, trust me!

Booties: Depends on surface you will be diving on? Beach, Boat, or Rocky shore will dictate the soles you will need!

Wet Suit: If you dive cold water this will be your most important purchase! If you are uncomfortable you will not dive and your gear won't matter! It will rot!

Regulator: Simple, Light, and a name Brand that if you travel you cam buy parts in Timbucktoo!

BCD: I like Dive Rite it travels well and is the most versatile I have seen in 37 years! Also rugged and will last and they are modular! Back inflation I think is best, but up to you? Back does not squeeze you on the surface!

Computer: If I could recommend one computer it would be the Oceanic Data Pro plus II. You will never need another as long as you dive! It is the Lear Jet of computers, yet easy and reliable! No cheap, but the company stands behind it and I have over 1200 dives on mine and it is great! It will expand with you, it will help you plan your dives, and it is down loadable!

Last but not least: Reed's Rod all porpoise dive tool! Save a reef dive with Reed's Rod!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Fines: Stay away from Split fins it is simple physics, trust me!
    Huh? I love my split fins! yeah I know there is a loss or power but I don't even notice that I'm wearing them. I don't normally dive in real strong currents so the loss of power/thrust isn't that big of an issue.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

So would you stand for a loss in power with other things you buy? More coral gets whacked with splits because they are not stable! I can scull or kick once to a SF user who has to kick two or three times to get to the same place! Split fines like the ones that flex are broken and I can see why people are sold broken gear and like it? Oh, ya I do, I remember the election, never mind!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Love how you bring politics into everything but I know you are one of the few republicans left so I commend your efforts (only 20% of Americans classify themselves as republicans per CNN). But back to fins..... it's personal comfort over anything and split fins are comfortable for me!!! Not too worried about disrupting coral because I'm stuck in the cool temperate waters of central CA.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Right everyone is behind the Obama Nation! Well right is not by majority rule that is a mob! But the point is just like Obamanation the woll is being pulled over people eyes. The fin industry had to come up with a new product so they could sell fins, because a good set should last for years! It is all sales and they feel comfortable because they are inefficient!

BTW I am Conservative first and republican second, and I am not the one who puts politics into everything it is the liberals and Dumocrats that want to control every aspect of your life and SCUBA is next! Look at Cap & Trade it is the beginning of the end for us!

Try a good set of light blades and you will see the difference!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast