Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advice for buying my gear

Registered Users

Default advice for buying my gear

I have just signed up for dive training, and as I am studying my materials I am getting ready to start buying my gear. So does anyone have any recommendations of favorites or anything I should stay away from. I have to admit it all gets a little overwhelming.

I'm assuming you mean skin gear(mask, snorkel, booties, fins) so get what fits well and is comfortable. Get it from the dive shop and they should help you out. A mask should be able to fit without the strap when you suck in with your nose. Get a pretty basic snorkel with a large bore! Booties just make sure they fit well. Fins total up to you. I like split fins because I don't feel them but there is a downside that you don't get as much "power" or what ever you want to call it when diving in currents. Hope this help.

Country
    USA

Welcome to the SMN Community.

If you are getting trained at a dive shop, ask them to try out in the pool a bunch of different masks. Give them at least 30 minutes each in the pool if you can.....same goes for fins. Some just really rub my feet the wrong way.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Gillingham
    State
    Kent
    Country
    England

Hi Benfuqua
    Congrats on starting an enjoyable passtime. I have one piece of advise.
    Do not let the dive store sell you dive gear that is not suitable for the diving you intend to do. Get trained ,and get the basic equipment you need now.
    I'm sure that many a novice diver spends more that is ness.I went down a similar road when I first learned to dive, spent an enormous ammount of money only to find after a few months later that I had bought at the recommendation of the dive store a lot of gear that was unsuitable for the diving that I was doing at that time.Anyway happy hunting for your scuba gear. Les

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Welcome to the SMN Community.

If you are getting trained at a dive shop, ask them to try out in the pool a bunch of different masks. Give them at least 30 minutes each in the pool if you can.....same goes for fins. Some just really rub my feet the wrong way.
    Really good! I have issues with my mask and even more issues with my fins. The thing is, I don't notice that they are hurting me until after I have been diving with them for about 20 minutes or so. Great idea on trying them out for a half hour or so just to make sure.

City
    DUBAI
    Country
    UAE

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Really good! I have issues with my mask and even more issues with my fins. The thing is, I don't notice that they are hurting me until after I have been diving with them for about 20 minutes or so. Great idea on trying them out for a half hour or so just to make sure.
    this is why i use split fins,.. ok they are no good for surface finning but underwater i think they are great
    “just living my life in the eternal summer “

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by chokdeekap View Post
    this is why i use split fins,.. ok they are no good for surface finning but underwater i think they are great
    Oh, they hurt my feet because they were not wide enough (I have a wide foot and huge dry suit boots).

Registered Users
    City
    Poquoson
    State
    VA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by padi613 View Post
    Do not let the dive store sell you dive gear that is not suitable for the diving you intend to do. Get trained ,and get the basic equipment you need now.
    Les,

If he does that, how are we supposed to get nearly new equipment cheap? Our number one source of gear is newbies!

<END HIJACK>

Country
    USA

Lol...it is like when I get my mountain bikes or car stereos stolen-UPGRADE TIME! See, there IS a silver lining!
    SMN Publisher

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Just get the basics - mask and fins.

Snorkel - I don't even strap them to my mask when diving now (you won't need a snorkel when diving

Wetsuit, BC, Reg - took me a long while before investing in these as wasn't sure if I would take up the sport regularly. Have seen too many people gave up the sport for one reason or another.

Happy diving!
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast