Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resorts with "No Gloves" policy?

Country
    USA

Ace, I agree about the fins thing, maybe they ought to have a no fins policy! lol.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Ace, I agree about the fins thing, maybe they ought to have a no fins policy! lol.
    They are trying to do something to help the reef, however what they are doing does not really make any sense and was obviously not thoroughly thought out. I don't know of any US dive operation that has this rule, I am sure it is because once someone gets a hand injury the business would be sued.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I personally wear gloves on every dive, usually necessary for thermal protection, but even in warm waters I wear some thin gloves. I feel more comfortable knowing that my hands have some protection on them. I know not to put my hands on the reef, so I don't, but I do touch a lot of things when digging through a wreck for artifacts, or when trying to grab a lobster, and especially when going up an anchor line or mooring buoy line.
    Ace, very good point re: mooring buoy lines etc. Lots of interesting little critters living on those and most of them seem to have some sort of "stinging" capability. Also, watch out for rusty fish hooks caught in the line. I don't always wear gloves, but if I don't have them with me, I have been known to grasp the mooring line in my elbow for the safety stop, if there's any sort of current. Either that or hang on to one of my buddies who's wearing the gloves
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    ...I have been known to grasp the mooring line in my elbow for the safety stop, if there's any sort of current. Either that or hang on to one of my buddies who's wearing the gloves
    Exactly, and why should we have to do that? It is not a safe practice in my opinion, so by having a no gloves policy, the dive operator is essentially asking that we dive in an unsafe manor.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

As was said earlier, the fact that US operators don't insist on this may be due to the potential for legal action were someone to get injured. Although in most cases it seems to be local authority rules, rather than the dive operators themselves.

Last time I was in Cozumel, where the Marine Park guys can be pretty strict on the no gloves policy (also no knives, as I recall), the dive boat was very quick to point out that it did not apply when diving the wreck. Can't remember the name of it, but it is a good dive, the Oxycontin or something like that. Anyway, they recognise that you may need to be able to push, hold, grab the wreck in certain parts to make your way through it and as an artifical reef, the no-gloves rules didn't apply. Just thought I'd add that to the discussion.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Default Cozumel Marine Park rules

Just looked these up:

Preservation of Cozumel's beaches, coastline and reefs is the responsibility of SEMARNAP, the Marine Park Authority. They are assisted by the Port Captain and the Mexican Navy.

In order to protect and conserve our precious marine life, the following regulations should be strictly adhered to by all boats, divers, and fishermen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED:
    To stand on, or take hold of the coral reefs
    To fish for, to collect, to disturb or to keep any marine life organism found in the Park (fishes, corals, shells, starfish, etc.)
    To carry spears, hooks, harpoons or explosives
    To carry gloves or knives (Dive Masters and Instructors may register these items for use with the Marine Park).
    To disturb or to remove fauna and flora from their refuge.
    To feed any fish or animals in the Marine Park
    To dispose of any kind of solid waste in the ocean.
    To dump fuel, grease, oil, or any other liquid substances into the ocean
    To use sun block or suntan oils which are not biodegradable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dive guides are authorized to enforce these rules. Your courtesy in carefully following these rules ensures that our precious reefs, living organisms in their own right, will enjoy long and healthy lives. For your support and help, the people of Cozumel thank you.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Well, I guess that's why they say "rules are made to be broken".

City
    Mesa
    State
    Arizona
    Country
    USA

While in Cancun last year a DM saw me put on a pair of gloves and told me of the no glove policy. I explained that my wife was a new OW diver who still was having some buoyancy issues. I went on and stated I can take care of my wife or she (the DM) could babysit her. The DM said the rule is to protect the reef and I explained I was well aware as a diver with a Project AWARE Specialty should be. I was told I could wear the gloves and as I completed my gear up I noticed that the DM was also wearing gloves.
    Later, after the days diving was done I just had to ask what the real story is about the rule. I was told it is just a way to keep the tourists from touching everything and doing damage.
    Opinions are like Gas... You're entitled to have some but people appreciate your keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Country
    USA

I am thinking of putting them in my BC and just putting them on underwater.

I have only had an issue with one resort though.
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I am thinking of putting them in my BC and just putting them on underwater.

I have only had an issue with one resort though.

Yep, that is what I do. No reason to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Of course you can play the "poor circulation" route and the need for expsure protection for your cold wittle hands.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast