I have noticed that more and more resorts are enforcing a "no gloves" policy.

Yes, above is my finger 2 weeks after a recent HD video assignment at a resort. Contact areas were sore and inflamed for that long.

It is inevitable that when I am in close proximity to reef structures to get macro shots, I am going to need to avoid bumping into things as the current may drift me into contact, so I look for a portion of the structure that I can gently put a finger or hand to slowly push off or to stabilize myself. I don't do this on coral, I tend to do it to rocks with limited growth portions, or sponges, etc. Sometimes when coral is involved I may place a finger or two on the underside of the coral, but I am the same guy who when I see those round or oblong solitary freestanding corals that always just sit eon the bottom and are not attached, well, they tend to get overturned a lot, which will cause them to die, so I always flip that back upright so they can get sunlight.

Bottom line is, I am conscientious about what I touch. And to put things into perspective, the average adult bumphead wrasse devours 1-2 tons of coral each year.

What are you thoughts?