Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Resorts with "No Gloves" policy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resorts with "No Gloves" policy?

Country
    USA

Default Resorts with "No Gloves" policy?

I have noticed that more and more resorts are enforcing a "no gloves" policy.

Yes, above is my finger 2 weeks after a recent HD video assignment at a resort. Contact areas were sore and inflamed for that long.

It is inevitable that when I am in close proximity to reef structures to get macro shots, I am going to need to avoid bumping into things as the current may drift me into contact, so I look for a portion of the structure that I can gently put a finger or hand to slowly push off or to stabilize myself. I don't do this on coral, I tend to do it to rocks with limited growth portions, or sponges, etc. Sometimes when coral is involved I may place a finger or two on the underside of the coral, but I am the same guy who when I see those round or oblong solitary freestanding corals that always just sit eon the bottom and are not attached, well, they tend to get overturned a lot, which will cause them to die, so I always flip that back upright so they can get sunlight.

Bottom line is, I am conscientious about what I touch. And to put things into perspective, the average adult bumphead wrasse devours 1-2 tons of coral each year.

What are you thoughts?
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Default I understand

where you're coming from. I understand where they are coming from.
    So I guess fat fingers is what we're gonna have to come back with.

I would like to see the data that shows divers without gloves
    touch less.

Would touching coral with gloves be less damaging than touching without
    gloves? ( ie. body oils)

I can go on on the thoughts of the pros and cons.. The difference between
    seasoned divers vs. the kamikazi diver, the conscientious diver vs the
    uneducated.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

For the most part, I don't have an issue with the "no gloves" policy, although I sympathize with your swollen fingers issue. Its obviously not aimed at the experienced and careful diver. I've seen too many relatively novice divers grab reef rather than fix their own bouyancy. I've also known a number of divers who carry gloves in their BC pocket and put them on once they're in the water which gets around boat crew enforcement but not if the boat provides guides/divemasters.

If the policy does nothing more than ensure people are fully aware of the potential damage they do by touching the reefs, then it is likely to be doing some good.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Registered Users

Default I say

When ever you see someone grossly touching the coral,
    I say touch them with a bit of fire coral.. Like the cartoon when Homer
    keeps touching a live wire... Shock.. Doh! touch... shock.. doh! touch..
    shock... doh! until they get it.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Country
    USA

I see fins banging corals far more frequently. Then there is the cursory turtle munching away on the reef with abandon.
    SMN Publisher

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Bottom line is, I am conscientious about what I touch. And to put things into perspective, the average adult bumphead wrasse devours 1-2 tons of coral each year.

What are you thoughts?
    I don't see how you can compare yourself with a fish in it's environment. Remember we are guests. I've never done any diving in tropical water or anywhere where gloves aren't allowed. Personally I don't really like gloves and very rarely use them and I'm diving in cooler temperate waters of central california. So I say tough it out. I don't know how strick they are but cut the fingers off of the gloves, you still get some warmth but have a lot more freedom and maybe the operator will be off your back.

We do our best to enforce this in Thailand, simply as an educational aspect as please don't touch anything, people with gloves might be more inclined to touch things and are wearing gloves more for that reason.

I think for the most part, if you're an experienced diver with a reason to have gloves (tech diving, videography etc etc) then they should leave you to.

Registered Users

Hi, it's good that the resort management is doing something to protect the reefs, better something than nothing. There are dives I would never do without gloves or a knife/cutting device so I sympathise with your issues but I have seen photographers/videographers doing real damage by wedging themselves in for a shot, some of them experienced and well published. Pity we can't do something about the realy serious threats to the ocean as easily as prohibiting gloves or teaching better control.

Country
    USA

I am reading all these posts as I peal off dead skin from my thumb and index finger....
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think the "No Gloves" policy is a bunch of BS. I went to Negril and they had a no gloves policy, funny thing is the local fishermen have and are currently destroying the reef every day. They drag weighted nets and drop their lobster pots right on the reef. I just don't see how gloves are going to make a difference.

I personally wear gloves on every dive, usually necessary for thermal protection, but even in warm waters I wear some thin gloves. I feel more comfortable knowing that my hands have some protection on them. I know not to put my hands on the reef, so I don't, but I do touch a lot of things when digging through a wreck for artifacts, or when trying to grab a lobster, and especially when going up an anchor line or mooring buoy line.

Anyway, it is my personal policy to keep a set of gloves in a pocket when there is a no glove policy somewhere. I figure I am happy they are trying to protect the reef, but I believe it is just as important for me to protect myself and keep my hands safe.

Oh, I also think more people kick the reef with their fins then put their hands on the reef. Maybe a better idea would be to offer a perfect buoyancy class before diving the reef.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast