Thread: Hello from cold and damp UK

Registered Users
    Country
    England

Smile Hello from cold and damp UK

Hi!

Just finished an 18 month round the world trip with my wife and (now) 3 year old daughter - managed to fit in some great diving in some amazing destinations and got my wife to finally take her O/W on the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia.

Now back in the UK - and wishing I wasn't! Not very much happening on the job front and in any case, not really convinced that I want to go back to my 'normal' line of work.

Currently qualified as PADI Advanced O/W and have a first aid course booked for this weekend with the Red Cross so that I can then do my Rescue Diver course (haven't decided where yet - happy to hear suggestions).

I'm toying with the idea of going off to do a Divemaster internship (again, open to suggestions) but I have a few questions:

Can I earn enough to support my wife and daughter (who will be with me)?
    Can I find a destination that has some pre-school for my daughter?
    Am I too old to be doing this kind of thing (42)?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking out some of the current threads and I'd be happy for any advice...

Country
    USA

Marky,

It is really difficult to make a living for yourself, let alone supporting a family. Maybe if you added some resort management courses under your belt you could differentiate yourself from all the other 20-30 year olds who want to do the same thing as you.

Living in Asia is very inexpensive, but I would wonder if I could send my child to private school and get her the education he or she needs to succeed in the rat race.

And think about how you all would retire.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Gillingham
    State
    Kent
    Country
    England

Hi Marky
    Welcome back home. I've been an instructor for some considerable time and believe me when I say that trying to earn a living in the diving industry is very difficult unless you work for yourself.Most diving schools expect you to work for nothing. It is misleading avertising by the diving organisations that you are an asset to diving once you step onto the professional level. As they need to attract more divers to enroll in further dive education.Sorry to be so blunt but this based on my experiences. I have moved into and operate a scuba repair & test centre in Kent after completing a technicians course.Best of luck in your future diving career.

I can only guess that the instructor certification agencies who make money off of training would tend to be rather liberal in their claims about how there is much of a demand for those with more training, but otherwise, welcome to the SMN Community Mark.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

How do you get a million bucks out of the diving industry? Start with two million!

You can make some money, but it is very difficult to make a living if that is your only source of income. All the instructors I know have day jobs that pay the bills, anything they get out of teaching diving helps to fund their diving equipment and trips.

Good luck, I hope you find a way.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!