Thread: Diving in Jamaica

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

Question Diving in Jamaica

Can anyone tell me which dive centre now operates at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Runaway Bay? If you know, please could you tell me: what the diving is like, how often they go out, what the prices are like and provide me with some contact details?

The first time we dived here we did so, with 'Jamaqua We Be Divin' they were great but the owners have retired and moved away. Last time we were at the hotel we were travelling to Club Ambience every day in order to dive. People have told us that there is diving again on site at the RDCC but no one seems to have any information about it. I have tried the PADI website but their lists are woefully out of date. I emailed PADI some time ago to ask their advice and complain about the information on their website being out of date but they didn't even bother to reply

Any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

hi we have done jamacia now 3 times from the uk the last trip was to starfish trelawny in falmouth,we have been to club ambience as well and i have dived with them not sure if same guys,there is a dive site at club decameron captain some thing or another as this thread is alittle old i think you may have gone allready cheers doug in london

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have been diving in Jamaica, but we were in Negril. The rates should be similar around the island though, as well as the diving.

I first have to say, the diving in Jamaica is pretty easy, basic, shallow dives. All foreigners must dive with a guide, which sucks because you are usually in a rather large group no matter what your skill level. There are things to see, but most of the large fish have been taken by fishermen. I highly recommend going on some night dives there. It seems that there is a lot more activity on the reef during the evening. I went during a full moon and we almost didn't need our dive lights.

Most of the dive sites are to different buoyed parts of the reef. They have a few wrecks, but I wouldn't really call them that. A few metal parts of an old Cessna and the like.

Now as far as the cost, Jamaica has to be the least expensive place I have ever been diving outside of shore diving. I paid US$250 for 10 dives, that is 5 days of 2 tank dives and I think it was an additional $30 for a night dive. I had all of my own gear, of course air and weights were included. I also stayed at an all inclusive resort, diving was included with that. The resort dive boats are much nicer and much better equipped than the private dive operators. They also have nice new gear for rent vs old worn gear at the private operators.

If you have any more questions, just let me know, I remember it very well.

here are some prices at starfish
    Attached Images Attached Images