Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under the Ice, first part of the 2008-2009 season.

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

Default Under the Ice, first part of the 2008-2009 season.

Fifteenth of the series of Toosday's Dives, I was a little ambitious and I did not want to cut this or that. The result gives an assembly of a little more than seven minutes which gathers sequences of the first four under-ice dives of the season. This represents nearly 400 minutes of diving and the penetrations up to 300 meters of the exit. The whole operation is obviously carried out with a continuous line connecting to us to the exit and enough gas supplies to face emergencies.

Sous-glace 2008-2009, Toosday's Dive # 15
    Last edited by mbelair; 02-02-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Marc

Country
    USA

Cool video, cool music too. Having grown up listening to Elton John Ballads, I especially liked the backing vocals in middle song. I can imagine breathing 102 F gas helps when ice diving. Thanks for posting the video link!
    SMN Publisher

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Cool video, cool music too. Having grown up listening to Elton John Ballads, I especially liked the backing vocals in middle song. I can imagine breathing 102 F gas helps when ice diving. Thanks for posting the video link!
    102F gas in he loop would be great but in 38F water that drops down in the fifties. Still warmer than an ice spitting Jetstream regulator I used to dive.
    Marc

Country
    USA

Never having done ice diving, I wasn't aware the loop could be cooled down that much, but I guess it could be worse on open circuit!

I think I would be insulating my loop & scrubber housing with crushed neoprene to if I were cold on the dive. I guess this would be one area where a plastic scrubber cannister material would have better insulating properties.
    SMN Publisher

Quote Originally Posted by mbelair View Post
    The whole operation is obviously carried out with a continuous line connecting to us to the exit and enough gas supplies to face emergencies.

Sous-glace 2008-2009, Toosday's Dive # 15
    very nice video! when you mentioned about the line I just thought of a few divers that I went to a presentation on about diving in the Antartic and they didn't use lines which I found odd. Also their entry hole was a LOT LOT harder to make, explosives and shovels.

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

Never having done ice diving, I wasn't aware the loop could be cooled down that much, but I guess it could be worse on open circuit!
    It is worst in OC.
    Take a look at today's display.

I think I would be insulating my loop & scrubber housing with crushed neoprene to if I were cold on the dive. I guess this would be one area where a plastic scrubber cannister material would have better insulating properties.
    The highly conductive aluminum casing of the Meg does not help on that level, that's for sure.

I thought of insulating the whole thing. Still on the To-Do list.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Marc

Country
    USA

I was wondering how you knew your loop temperature. I was unaware the Meg had a thermistor in it's loop, that is REALLY cool. I need to have a talk with Martin Parker, now, lol.

The issue with adding insulation to a Meg scrubber is you are adding buoyancy.

I wonder if spray coating it with a light density thermo-nylon would do the trick. Or that spray on bedliner material. I know it may increase scrubber efficiency.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

I know it may increase scrubber efficiency.
    It would do that. We cut our scrubber time by half in these cold waters.

So the Inspo does not show loop temp?

I'll ask around to find out from users of other machines if they have any info on their loop temp.
    Marc

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    very nice video!
    Thanks

when you mentioned about the line I just thought of a few divers that I went to a presentation on about diving in the Antartic and they didn't use lines which I found odd.
    So do I.

I must be easy to think you don't need a line in 200 ft visibility.

We prefer to keep on using lines even if we have over 20 meters of visibility in most areas of this quarry that we could navigate with our eyes closed.
    Marc

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Nice video, Marc.

I see you got our ice lettering in your video! lol..

We are very lucky to have that place for winter diving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast