hello all
I just got back from Roatan and can say the diving sites are spectacular. I stayed at the Bay Island Beach Resort and everyone from the housekeeper, cook, dive staff and owners were courteous, friendly and bending over backwards to make our stay the best possible.
The DMs are very good and make your dives special. I was mostly with DM Clyde and he made sure everyone was within sight, and safe and he took painstaking care to point out extraordinary creatures.
I skipped 4 dives during the week because I was busy doing other stuff but still got in 14 dives between Saturday and Thursday. Friday, it rained and the current was a little stiff so I skipped my planned shore dive our to spooky channel. Anyway, I did a couple of dives there earlier during the week and that is something to behold.
What once was a channel is now part of the marine park as the reef has grown over in spots to make GIANT swim throughs . That is swim throughs where the depth between the bottom and top is 50 feet or more and 50 feet wide. Lots of fish, beautiful coral.
We saw schools of squid, huge schools of blue tangs, small schools of barracudas, and the usual damsils, angels, eels, crabs, lobsters, an occasional seahorse, tons and tons of parrotfish, pretty big groupers following us around as if we were leading them to food and of course, the ever present, always beautiful fairy basslets.
Lots of fun, going back in May, trying to recover from the ordeal of flying today while I thoroughly clean my gear and get mentally ready for reality starting tomorrow.