Thread: Newbie Dive Computer -- Gekko ok?

Registered Users

Red face Newbie Dive Computer -- Gekko ok?

I'm a recreational diver, I've been certified for almost a year, I have 50 dives in the Philippines. I am looking for a good, inexpensive dive computer to buy before a trip to Hawaii in April 2009. I have focused in on the Suunto Gekko because I hear Suunto makes dive computers that are good and that last. I have seen one and I can read the letters (important as my eyes fossilize), and I've seen a prices of $205-250.

The biggest negative I've seen is that it doesn't have a back light, it is phosphorescent. How big a negative is that?

What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
    Bob

Country
    USA

As long as your primary dive light or backup never goes out, you don't need a backlight!
    SMN Publisher

I have a back light on my aladin prim and the only time I've ever used it was on accident trying to start the safety stop timmer. I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of a back light.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

The first dive computer I bought was a Gekko. IMHO an excellent 'starter computer. I actually prefer the phosphorescent screens to one with a backlight.

The only problems that I ever had with mine were: lack of gauge mode, (not a problem until I started doing deco dives). The pressure sensor packing in after 4 years, (I've heard that this is not rare for Suunto computers).

HTH
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Registered Users

Thanks for your comments. It helps a lot to hear what other people say about their experiences when you are looking at equipment you've never used. For example, here and on other forums, I've had a lot of comments that people prefer phosphorescent or that backlighting doesn't matter.

Thank you, again.

Regards,
    Bob