City
    Anchorage
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    USA

Default hello from the frozen north

Hi to all,
    Just joined this forum. Its -20F right now so I'm dreaming of warmer places!! I'm heading to Key Largo next week for a couple days of diving; I have a trip planned to Sulawesi in October but no trips in between yet. I'm a novice photographer so I'm really interested in what others have to say about various cameras, etc. I havent made a purchase yet but I'm looking at the Nikon D300. I'm fascinated with the macro world and would like to get some photo experience under my BC before Sulawesi!

Anyway, I'm glad to be aboard. Hope to hear from others.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

You are going to love Sulawesi! Where are you going there?

Country
    USA

Welcome to the SMN Community Kathy.

Alcina is our moderator in the photography section, and she is a rocket scientist.

The D300 camera rocks, especially with a 105mm macro lens and an add-on diopter, but Alcina and the rest will steer you right
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Anchorage
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    USA

I'm going to North Sulawesi; staying @ Tasik Ria Resort & diving in Banaken Natl Park then moving on to Kungkungan Bay for Lembeh Straits diving. I am SO excited!!

Country
    USA

Both Tasik Ria and KungKungan Resort are well regarded.

We may do a review of the newer Resort Kasawari as well as Siladen Resort on Sildaen Island in Bunaken.

We did a review of Mimpi Indah Resort here, and you can see the HD video footage within the review post we shot in the region, some of which was in the Lembeh Straits where you will be going.

So are you going to come back with photos to upload in an album here and a trip report?
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Anchorage
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    USA

Sorry I'm just gettin back to this! Yes, I hope to come back with photos. I just dont know how good they'll be. I've never done any UW photos so we'll see how much practice I get between now & then. I think I'll have to get dry-suit certified to dive here at home. Jeez, just thinkin about it makes me shiver......