Hi Dave,

I can confirm a few professional underwater, photographers and videographers use KISS (both Sport and Classic) rebreathers for their work. I should know, I am one of them, along with Norbert Wu, Curt Bowen, Alan Studley, Doug Ebersole and Tim Taylor.

Flying manual (KISS) CCR’s is very easy. I started off with an Inspiration Classic only to switch to a Sport KISS few years back.

If you are not of the notion that “I am too busy to properly monitor my displays and dive computer” then you should be fine with it.

As a underwater photographer (see www.waltstearns.com and www.underwaterjournal.com) diving a KISS has almost become second nature for me too balance between shooting pictures reading the information through the camera’s viewfinder and maintaining my desired set point at 1.2. Even in task loading situations, like shooting a bag midway up from the bottom on a 140 dive in a live boat situation while judging your camera, monitor depth/time/PO2 with 10 to 15 min. of deco to full fill) is no big deal.

Many MCCR users attribute regular monitoring and adjustment through manual injection builds safer habits, reducing the likelihood that a malfunction would go unnoticed. Furthermore, in addition to offer the user a better chance at remedying a gas management issue underwater, they (KISS) are simple to repair in the field, and reducing the prospects of missing a dive or whole dive trip. There are few components on a KISS that cannot be taken apart with a small cresset wrench and Philips screwdriver.

In addition to the original KISS triple display and VR pendant, KISS has decided to offer both Classic and Sport without any displays what so ever.

Now some of you, knowing displays for PO2 monitoring is a critical component to all rebreathers are going to say what, are you nuts! Well, Kim has just spent plenty of time with her lawyer to make this happen, and to ensure that divers understand the risk. Those that want this option will have to sign an additional waiver. Also this option will only be avialable through the dealers.

What's great about this is that divers can choose from a variety of options such as computers like the VRx, Shearwater Pursuit and Liquidvision X1, as well as more simple triple displays like Subsea and Sartek which are capable of monitor three O2 cells, thus permitting an individual making the investment in a Classic or Sport not be totally beholden to those devices offered by KISS.

What this all means is that a diver wanting to get into a KISS, can have the dealer order it without any displays, while at the same time buy the displays and/or computer of their choice from that dealer. In theory, what you opt to plumb into it is entirely up to you. Of course, the rebreather must be checked to see everything is in working order, particularly in the matter that computer/displays plugged in are reading the three O2 cells properly. A prudent behavior that should practiced by all rebreather divers.

The retail price for the Classic KISS, with NO display system (plate and wires note included), runs $5,500 Canadian, or $4,670.75 U.S. dollars at todays exchange rate. Or for $5,950 Canadian, 5,052.90 U.S. will include the kidney plate with a Fischer connection.

The same goes for the Sport KISS, (minus both the wires and three hose connector) retailing for $4,375 Canadian, $3,715.37 U.S., with NO display system, or for additional $475 Canadian, $403.39 U.S. the unit will come with Fischer connector in O2 sensor housing.