City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Which CCR???

Guys,

I would like to hear everyone's opinion of the various CCR units out there. I would be mainly using in for video work, not super deep say 60m max unless I'm doing something special.

Key features to me would be:
    Reasonable low maintenance (well compared to other units I know there is a fair amount of work involved)
    Size
    Safety Record (Pretty high on my list!!)
    Fairly easy to get serviced etc

My thoughts are Evo (smaller), Inspiration (bit big but been around hence hopefully ironed out issues) or Kiss (simple... but maybe to simple if I'm focussing on video on the unit?)

Cheers

Jon

Country
    USA

John,

For video work, the Evo over the Inspo is the way to go. Smaller, lighter, travels better, etc.

ISC makes a mini-Meg that is well regarded.

For me, because Cis-Lunar stopped 15 years ago due to venture capital issues, I chose the Inspiration over everything else because it seemed to be the largest company. I wanted some stability in the company whose product I chose. It turned out to be the right choice. They did not have the Evo when I bought my Inspo. Get the extended range Evo, which uses an Inspo scrubber. Get the temp stick, as I get 6-7 hours out of the scrubber now. Saves on Sofnolime and pays for itself.

Some guys swear by the KISS system, but really, between white balancing, macro, subjects, framing, manual controls, etc while shooting video, do you REALLY want to add additional task loading, especially having to manually control Po2 in a system with no warnings of ANY kind other than an additional visual display that has to be looked at every minute or you will go unconscious and die?

But with the partnering of DP Scandinavia buying Poseidon, then partner with Bill Stone of Cis-Lunar, I would give some LONG hard looks at that unit.

I have interviewed Dr. Stone twice now, HD videos of which are in the Cis-Lunar section here, and I am impressed. The 20 year old Cis-Lunar Mark VP still to this date has a combination of features not since duplicated, but now DP threw a truckload of systems engineers over to Stone and the new Mark 6 Discovery is revolutionary, using just two sensors.

The compact Sentinel is great for someone with more $ than God, and it is certainly a well regarded unit.

There are lots of other units, like the Revo, the Optima, etc, but for what we do, we really need a small, light, automated unit, and at $6500, the mark 6 will leave you with enough $ to put towards that Scarlet 5k videocam and housing

Hopefully some other CCR types will chime in here and add their opinions.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks, I do some more research. Yeah the dieing factor isn't high on my list of '09

I have used the dolphin and ray units (the Ray is a piece of junk), how much of a jump is it using an Evo? Is there heaps of maintenance, time rigging up etc?

City
    Deerfield Beach
    State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

What about a rEvo? It is very simple and requires very little maintainance. It can be configured in any way that you wish (manual, hybrid, or electronic controlled)

I start my crossover course on it tomorrow.

Country
    USA

The rEvo certainly has the fastest scrubber change time I have ever seen!

I have heard no complaints at all on that unit.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    The compact Sentinel is great for someone with more $ than God, and it is certainly a well regarded unit.
    Why do you say that? It's priced the same as an Inspo/Evo from AP in the UK & includes features such as ADV/BOV/Deco software which are optional extras on AP models.

Country
    USA

Good point JPT, I may have been thinking of the Boris when it comes to pricing.

I hear that the Sentinel is available in various model levels.

The new Cis-Lunar Mark 6 looks interesting from a travel standpoint.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Any of you guys dived with Apocalypse? Looks really robust and it's pretty god value?

Jon

Country
    USA

Jon, I have played with that unit on land and interviewed Alex Deas several times....some really interesting features. I don't believe it is in production yet though. The DSV/BOV or whatever everyone seems to be calling them these days is really trick.

Alot of Inspiration and Evo divers are really turned off about Deas being a hired witness in a lawsuit against Ambient Pressure, a substantial lawsuit where Ambient Pressure really creamed the plaintiffs lawyers and the trial court rejected the plantiffs claims.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

I know of a pro videographer that uses a Sport Kiss. he travels lots round the world with it and he thinks its great, i could give you his contact info if you would like to discuss this with him.
    the Sport KISS is lightweight, simple and easy to maintain, you can get parts for it almost anywhere.
    IMHO the best way to keep your CCR mantained is to learn how to maintain it yourself, that usually comes with the course i believe.
    trust no one but yourself when it comes to maintaining you CCR rig.
    The KISS can be altered and imroved to your liking and comfort.

on the otherhand, I know 2 photovidiographers that use the inspiration, they dont look like the inspiration anymore cause of all the improvements and tweeks they have had on them but, basic inspiration non the less.
    they dive to great depths, we're talking about up to 120 metres and deeper.
    they are very satisfied.
    Could also give you their contact info if you would like to hear opinions.

Also, the Is the Meg and Mini-Meg, If you are diving shallow, I would concider the Meg-COPIS. look the COPIS up, from what I know about it and have seen it, it would be Ideal for your diving. When Leon Scamahorn (ISC owner, Instructor and CEO) was over teaching a Meg course where I work, he also shoed us the Copis.
    no THAT is a CCR i would buy.

good luck.
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 06-11-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast