Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wetsuit versus Drysuit

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    I'm sure dry suits are great for some but right now I'm fine wet, so don't jump in determined you must dive dry, and again MAKE SURE DIVING IS FOR YOU!!!
    No you don't need to go dry, that is for sure, but it is something you seriously need to consider if you are going to be diving where you live. That is the nice thing about renting equipment, you can rent a wetsuit for your first day of your checkout dive and rent a dry suit for your second day. Of course you will need to be trained in using the dry suit, but you can then make your own decision.

I do promise you that once you go dry you won't want to use a wetsuit again. I am actually considering using my dry suit in Florida this winter. It is just very comfortable to be dry and warm while diving.

Oh yea' by the way, once I started using my dry suit I was able to increase my dive times as I was using less air. When you are cold you will suck down much more air then when you are comfortable. When my friends ask me what it feels like to dive dry, I tell them imagine being on your couch nice and comfy, my undergarments are fleece.

Registered Users
    City
    Stanwood
    State
    wa
    Country
    USA

Thanks alot for all the info, and yes i am not going to buy anything yet. i am just trying to figure out what to rent to see what i like and see what people say about various gear. and i am sure i will love diving, i have been obsessed with the water since i was a kid and go snorkeling all the time. My dad was a Commercial diver for years so i grew up on boats and in the puget sound, so now I am excited to get certified to go explore it in more depth. Thanks again for all the help and i am sure i will ask more questions. i will keep you posted on what i decide to buy.

Registered Users

Default What should I buy...

I dive a DUI CLx450...
    Very Durable..

I decided on the diagonal front entry zipper... Easy to manage..
    I had the back zipper, over the shoulders and hated it..

I chose the Rock Boots, because I didn't trust walking on the built on boot
    and cutting into it.. Oops, there goes the 'dry' suit...

I also chose the Zip seals... for both the neck and wrists... A quick field
    swap out should you tear a seal..
    I've used Ace's method of dick tape. Didn't work too well, but I was able
    to dive.. So it worked for the day..

I also bought custom made, verses the standard made.. Cost a little more
    but it was cut for me.. Now $$ is a concern, I say rent.. Use Depends
    and enjoy your experience with the suit..

Oh, and don't carry your cell phone in your dry suit... but that's another story..

Lars
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post

Oh, and don't carry your cell phone in your dry suit... but that's another story..

Lars
    LMFAO!!! That reminds me of one other thing you should be aware of, the term dry suit is a bit incorrect, they are dryer than a wetsuit, but you will get a little water here and there. You would be shocked at how much your sweat adds up.

Depends.....ummmm, I'll hold it, which sucks, but not Depends...I can't even imagine going to the store to make that purchase.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Depends...I can't even imagine going to the store to make that purchase.
    It's easy.. I just say I'm buying it for Acelock... :-)>
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12