Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is scuba very hip for chicks?

Hi Caliscubagirl, welcome to the SMN Community! Fun avatar!

What I like about diving with my fellow girlfriends is we're not doing it to prove any point about anything, we're doing it because we like to and we get to enjoy the marine life.

But I like diving with guys just as much, they are silly and fun to flirt with.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

You'll find more divegirls on liveaboards if the entire thing is chartered by your group/club. The best part about liveboards is that a diver is a diver. There's no pressure to hang out with the non-diving wives at the spa or at the resort nursery or risk being labeled "anti-social" or "dive-snobby". Too much drama for when on vacation!

In NYC there a group called the Sea Gypsies that organizes divegirl-preferred trips. You'll find divers there of all levels.

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Of course things are MUCH better now than they were in the early 60's when I began diving. I think there was one girl in my OW cert class, but I'm not sure (it was a long time ago). Great to see more women diving these days. Perhaps some of those that don't are afraid they just won't look fashionable in a 7mm wetsuit! Of course I live near LALA Land where appearances are everything!
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.

City
    Dallas
    State
    Texas
    Country
    USA

Default Why chicks/gals/ladies dive!

Simple, because we love it. What we would miss if we could not take advantage of seeing what is in our lakes and oceans as well as on our earth and be able to appreciate it, understand it and take stories of it back to our non-diving friends and colleagues. It's diverse, it's beautiful and it's peaceful. More ladies need to get into this sport, but it's hard. It takes a certain kind of lady - one that doesn't want to spend all her vacation week lying in the sun, shopping, going to that spa, getting drunk and looking a million dollars! Now we can all do a little of that but all of a sudden it's not as important as the deep dive at 8am the next morning, or the long boat ride out to the special location or travelling 1/2 way round the world for diversity and different creatures. Looking a million dollars after 3 dives, in the heavy rain when you're cold is just not possible. Sorry guys! But if you want that girl she's probably not a diver and if she is, grab her now!
    Now I happen to think scuba is very hip for chicks! But that's because I'm a chick and I dive and I love it. Every lady diver that comes through our classes I want to encourage a little more than the guys. Some of them are doing it for them, but a lot of them do it for the men in their lives and I want them to continue and love it as I do, regardless of the men/man in their lives. If the man goes, do they give up diving. Many might, but if they then encourage their girlfriends and they encourage their girlfriends we'd all have more friends diving. Unfortunately, a lot of my girlfriends don't dive. Some that do dive only dive occasionally. I agree that more TV on diving and diving destinations may well encourage, but what it really needs is for us ladies to encourage other non-diving ladies to dive - it's hip and it's cool, and we all know there are plenty of cute guys out there diving as well.

Registered Users
    State
    Colorado
    Country
    USA

OK, male speaking (writing) here ...

Nothing more attractive than a woman who is into being a "partner in adventure". I can't understand guys who are into prissy little chickie-babes who hang out by the pool, afraid to get their hair wet ... unless the issue is that those guys have identity/confidence issues, and are threatened by a woman who'll suit up head to toe in neoprene and jump into the briny deep with them. Don't play into it, ladies!
    Last edited by highdesert; 07-24-2008 at 02:23 AM.
    Born to Travel

Default I dive...

So I can play with the cool toys...

Yes, diving is hip for chicks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123