Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is scuba very hip for chicks?

I don't think I would call one guy amongst 4 girls a "thorn" among roses.....

"Kid" in a candy store does come to mind though.....

Registered Users

yeah - poor fella. tough to pick a buddy to pair up with -

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post

None is better or worse, that is why we mesh so well together

I love the wee critters myself.
    All critters wee which is why I'm very glad I use an FFM when diving.

Tip for the uninitiated - always swim up current of any diver in a wetsuit on a long dive ............... unless you are cold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I don't think I would call one guy amongst 4 girls a "thorn" among roses.....

"Kid" in a candy store does come to mind though.....
    hmmm ok, I hope you can be my dive buddy hehehehehehe can that be?

Back in my dating days I considered diving or aerobatic flying as a filter to separate the wimpy gals from the ones I might be interested in.

Great observation about the correlation between spatial relation abilities and activities such as diving and admitting on average there is a difference between the sexes.

City
    Tacoma
    State
    WA
    Country
    USA

When I'm teaching, the one thing that I WILL NOT "teach through" is panic. You have to be able to think clearly and problem solve underwater to have my name on a certification card. And, as much as it saddens me to say this...I've only had females come up with the panic issues.

Yes, ours is a more strenuous pasttime than scrapbooking. But you look at all of the female athletes in other sports. Snowboarding, Rock Climbing, Surfing... I'm confident that more women will join our sport. And that they will come from the Gen X'ers and the Millenium Generation. Less stereotypes there about what women "should" and "should not" do.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think iDiveChick hit the nail on the head. My wife dives, and she LOVES to dive, that being said there are major differences in our behavior.

1. I would dive multiple dives every day if I could. I dove yesterday, and I am going again today. I will never miss a dive unless I am too ill or I have a previous obligation. My wife will dive with me usually, but does not like to dive every day and does not like many dives in one day. If she feels even feels slightly bad, she won't dive.

2. I like liveabords a lot, with many dives and being very dive oriented. She perfers all inclusive resorts, that have a few dives/ day, but offer many other non dive activities.

3. I am a gear junkie!!!!!!!!!! If there is some technical gear, I want it. If I get my hands on it, I usually take it apart so I know how it works. I repair and maintain all of our gear and I trust no one to touch my stuff. My wife never wants to change her gear for something new unless it is causing her a problem where I will get something new just to try it out. She also perfers that someone else deals with her gear. Of course she sets up her equipment, but I clean and store it. She also likes the dive operations that carry your gear and likes to dive in a big group with the DM, I really don't like that at all.

4. I perfer cold water and wreck diving, my wife perfers warm tropical diving.

I know there are even more differences, but that is what I thought of off the top of my head.

Bottom line, even though our diving is different we both have the same passion for our sport. I am VERY thankful that I have such a great partner and dive buddy!

Banned
    Country
    St. vincent and the Grenadines

I'm a 'girl' (well a bit older than a girl!) and I like to dive. My husband will dive, but once in a blue moon.

I have dived with sporty girls, and as a dive instructor I have taken some very nervous men and ladies into the water.

I have also dived with some very glam ladies (lipstick between dives glam). I think that social stereo typing has an effect on the way that some women view diving and other active sports, including diving. There is still a view that only the 'sporty' girls / tom boys enjoy 'out doorsey' active sports such as diving. I have to admit that I have always been a bit of an active girl, I have always enjoyed being able to fix stuff (I service my own gear), and I really enjoy the company of my male friends just as much as my female friends.

The powers that be responsible for marketing the sport need to be more proactive in promoting diving as an inclusive sport, and not just for women. We should also consider the lack of ethnic diversity within the diving industry. For those of you attending DEMA or any other large dive industry show take a look and see how many folks you spot who are of Afro Caribbean heritage for example.

Whilst I appreciate that this space is dedicated for 'lady' topics I felt that this (the accessibility of SCUBA to a broader audience) is a subject worthy of further discussion. I'd like the dive industry as a hole to be a lot more active in promoting the sport as a 'sport for all', and I'd also like to see more SCUBA within mainstream TV and print media.

That's my 2 cents worth!

Registered Users

Default women in diving

The sport is unbalanced, weighing in more towards the men than the women.
    I personally would love to see more women in the sport, for the diversity that it would bring.
    So what is keeping women from the sport? What can be done to attract women towards the sport?
    Studys show that diving is becoming a younger generation sport.
    Is it the younger female generation we should be focusing the attention towards?
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

State
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Country
    U.S.A.

Default Girls Are Super Sexy Underwater......

I, Too, Have Noticed The 'lack Of Females' aboard The 'live Aboards'.
    However... I Think There Are plenty Of Us Out There. As Women , We Tend To Be Passionate About The Sports Or Hobbies We Undertake. It's Not Just A Fly By Night Gig. I Have Met The Most Amazing Divers From All Over This Beautiful Earth And They Just Happen To Be Female As Well.

I Believe That The Women Just Taking It Up To Hang Out With Their Partners/friends/etc.... Will Realize That It Is An Amazing Indulgence. One That Can Clarify The Mind As Well As The Soul.

I Encourage All My Chick :d Friends To Go With Me On Dive Trips.

So , Hey.... I Hope We Meet Up Someday And Show The Guys Just How Its Supposed To Be Done ....
    CALISCUBAGIRL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast