I'm a 'girl' (well a bit older than a girl!) and I like to dive. My husband will dive, but once in a blue moon.

I have dived with sporty girls, and as a dive instructor I have taken some very nervous men and ladies into the water.

I have also dived with some very glam ladies (lipstick between dives glam). I think that social stereo typing has an effect on the way that some women view diving and other active sports, including diving. There is still a view that only the 'sporty' girls / tom boys enjoy 'out doorsey' active sports such as diving. I have to admit that I have always been a bit of an active girl, I have always enjoyed being able to fix stuff (I service my own gear), and I really enjoy the company of my male friends just as much as my female friends.

The powers that be responsible for marketing the sport need to be more proactive in promoting diving as an inclusive sport, and not just for women. We should also consider the lack of ethnic diversity within the diving industry. For those of you attending DEMA or any other large dive industry show take a look and see how many folks you spot who are of Afro Caribbean heritage for example.

Whilst I appreciate that this space is dedicated for 'lady' topics I felt that this (the accessibility of SCUBA to a broader audience) is a subject worthy of further discussion. I'd like the dive industry as a hole to be a lot more active in promoting the sport as a 'sport for all', and I'd also like to see more SCUBA within mainstream TV and print media.

That's my 2 cents worth!