Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is scuba very hip for chicks?

Question Is scuba very hip for chicks?

I've found as I have gone diving with my husband around the world, that not many woman seem to dive. I usually find myself on a boat full of men who say their wives just aren't into it. Why is this?

I admit, I was a bit nervous when my husband approached me about it because I have never been much of a water person - but I really have fun with it. I still can't go as often as he can, I prefer one dive in a day a few times a week instead of multiple dives in a day every day of the week!

Still, I can't talk my sister in law or my own mother into it. Though now my dad & brother in law are both addicted to diving! Ah well, nothing wrong with hangin' with the boys I suppose!

Jamieleigh

Jamie,

I think it has to do with the perception of risk taking and how testosterone drives that. Guys, that is not a bad thing at all, it is irreplaceable.

Additionally, guys have superior spatial and abstract skills and equipment and technology gets their motors running just shy of chicks. Us girls have the benefit of using both cranial hemispheres for communication, which is why we can understand that when a fellow woman asks their man; "Do you think I'm fat?" rather then meaning "Do you think I'm fat?, as the English language would seem to imply, what women are are really saying is "I need you to reassure me that you still find me physically desirable and that I am the most fit and attractive women in the world, now hold me".

Us girls tend to be a tad more risk averse, a little bit less gear oriented, and WAY more beautiful animal & beautiful ocean's oriented. Guys will live on a cramped liveaboard to get that testosterone dive, whereas we like the land based resorts a little more.

None is better or worse, that is why we mesh so well together

I love the wee critters myself.

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Guy swill live on a cramped liveaboard to get that testosterone dive, whereas we like the land based resorts a little more.
    Actually, I don't mind the cramped dive boats or liveaboards...
    I think it just has to do with the individual... and how much they want (or love) to dive.
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

I found this out, too! I do not understand it either. I love SCUBA diving, and I cannot understand how someone who has tried scuba could not love it. I mean, maybe that's it. Maybe most women do not even try it.

I have always loved water, though. I learned to swim very early, and I have loved water ever since. I wish I could dive all the time. When I got pregnant, it was one long summer without diving.
    ><((((º>`·.¸.·^·.¸.¸><((((º>
    . .·^·.. ><((((º>`·.¸.·^·...¸><((((º>

-Mallory

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ill chip in with a bit of a guys point of view on this. If its the unglamorous parts of it then you got nothing to worry about. Guys look just as appealling as girls when they take their mask of and half their face is covered in a big snot gobblin. As for not tough enough to do it. I think that is a big falicy. I know of a lot of girls doing bigger dives than most guys would look at. And being able to do them with no support or all female team support. More than likely apart from that they have to do it twice as good everytime so the guys will stand up and take notice. Why try and play with the same bat and ball take it and run with it and play your own game.

Matt

City
    Long Island
    State
    NY
    Country
    USA

I think many women enjoy being active and are more athletic than you think. I dive and know many other woman who do also....just one of my friends, but I have met many women on dive trips. They dive and they are good at it!

I think that a person who scubas is not into the whole "sit at the pool and look pretty" mode....men or women. Give me a day of diving anytime!
    It's fun and adventurous. Yes, I can sit and relax by the pool, but only after a day of diving.

I met many woman on this last trip to Bonaire, women who were over 50, 60 and even 70 years old, who were enjoying the day diving.

I love to see the world underwater, love the fish and the whole nature component.
    I've seen manta-rays, turtles, sharks, dolphin, and a kazillion fish!
    You can't do that on land!

My husband's recent photo of me after a dive:
    http://www.pbase.com/christhorpe/image/73712759

Okay, I've ranted enough!
    Last edited by AlidaDiver; 01-29-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: to add link

Hi Alida, I am so delighted you joined up!

Guys, at some point, we're all in for a treat, just wait till you see her photos!

I know a lot of women would rather sit around the pool trying not to get their hair mussed up, but the guys I like are the guys who like adventuresome chicks!

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Default women divers

Hmmm, curiously, my most regular dive buddies are women. The last dive I had to get on a plane for, we ended up being an all-female foursome (two of them dive buddies themselves for over a decade now). Somehow, the male divers who initially expressed interest in the trip backed out due to family or work pressures.
    Not that we didn’t have work pressures of our own. Mylene holds some kind of managerial position in an advertising agency (and she’s in constant training as a triathlete). Benita is a doctor (enough said). Cathy is in thankless customer service. And I’m in corporate communications with a perpetual publication deadline.
    It seemed all of us had a common response to feeling “toxic.” We became more stubborn about sticking to our dive plans. We don’t always win ‘em all of course (in fact, I recently missed out on three days in Apo Island [in the Philippines] because of presswork, oh well.)
    But there you go, my most regular dive buddies are women (and sometimes they bring their partners for yet another intro-dive ).
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

This is a cultural thing as well. These are countries, such as Japan, where the female-to-male ratio of divers is 3-4:1. I'm moving there ASAP.

Nice to see dive buddy MissyP (SoCalDiveGirl) is already a member here.
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.

Default hmmmm....

yeah I think pinay diver was right, The last time I dive Here in Palawan, I only have 4 girls as a companion, and would you believe that fellas I am the only thorns amon the Roses WOW!! hehehehehe well I'm the only guy in the group hehehehehe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast