Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How deep on air?

Default How deep on air?

I found this paper online and thought I should post a link. It's a great read especially if you're thinking of going deep on air:

http://www.oseh.umich.edu/diving%20articles/abolish.pdf

So what's your personal dept limit on air? I just did my deepest dive on air a few days ago down to 141 FSW and felt comfortable and kept well within my no-deco limits on my computer.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

190 max depth on air because of Partial Pressure! Time is the major factor, what can you do on a no deco profile below 130ft? Add narcoses and what can most people do at that depth anyway? A single picture and salvage job, hooking a line, maybe? Most people become very non-functional below 160ft. Simple tasks become impossible! So unless you have very good reason to go deep, don't!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    So unless you have very good reason to go deep, don't!
    I fully agree, 99% of my dives are in the 60-80ft range or less, and I knew AAUS air limt was 190 but most other orginizations are 130. I was more after personal comfort levels and the only reason I went deep was to follow the shelf down the rocky reef which was our plan. I ended up with a 40 min dive but only 8 mins was under 100 ft.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Done about 150, Blue Hole, Belize. Felt fine, no obvious narcosis, but then again I wasn't actually trying to do anything.

I know some folks who've done a lot deeper, but usually for a specific reason. Some friends did Chuuk last year and they certainly hit 170+ on air, not sure for how long or what the deco situation was.

I'm with you Papa, unless there's a good reason, I'll stay much shallower. Anyway, I'd rather spend an hour on a reef at relatively shallow depths than go deep and only have 5 minutes down there. Also, aside from NDL restrictions, the deeper you go the quicker you use the gas in your tank, whatever it is.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

City
    Lloydminster
    State
    AB
    Country
    Canada

I did the blue hole in Belize too! Very nice. I was at 140+ on air which was deep enough to get to the huge stalactites. Besides there wasn't a lot past there to see. We stayed down 8 minutes I think. I have been to max 170 on air on another dive but for just a very short time..a minute or so. There wasn't much to see there anyway. Unless you're going to get a look at a shark or something else down there of interest it aint really worth going down there. Less to see and you shorten your dive time and your dive com will nag you a lot on the next dives if you don't have one made for deco diving.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Here is video in the Blue Hole to 171ft! Even running a smooth camera at that depth is hard! http://twotankedproductions.com/trav...ressoriii.html
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    USA

On a closed circuit rebreather with air as the diluent 165 feet which is the deepest I have been is the equivalent to being on air as far as nitrogen loading.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Lloydminster
    State
    AB
    Country
    Canada

At 171 ft you must have been near that ridge below the stalactites. Is that where you saw the devil ray from? Nice spotting anyway! You really lucked out!

Registered Users
    City
    Baton Rouge
    State
    Louisiana

Been to 180 ft by accident. Spearfishing in the Gulf and didn't realize I had gone that deep. Computer said it was time to leave. I really didn't feel any different at that depth.... well at least that is what I thought at the time.. Tim

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quite happy at 60m (180') in the UK, 80m (240') abroad in warm waters. But, only if I need to.

I prefer the CCR with an END of around 20m (60') for anything deeper than 40m (120').
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast