Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on equipment?

Default Advice on equipment?

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting into underwater photography but want to do it right. ("DIR?" lol.)

I am leaning in the direction of a Nikon D200 because it seems to be the best value for the $1500 price without lens. I know Canon makes some really good equipment with a higher megapixel count, but they're a fortune.

As to lenses, can any one make recommendations? I like macro, but is there a lens that can do both macro and decent wide angle shots?

How about housings? I see some of these housings that have flip down macro with real high magnification powers.

Hi iDiveChick. I use a Canon Rebel XT or 350D which is only 8MP. The new Rebel XTi has 10MP. I haven't posted any photos here but I do have a lot on another board you could take a look at. Rebels are relatively cheap, it's the housings and strobes that are expensive. The D200 is very nice but a lot more $$$.

As far as lenses, I've never seen flip down macro. I use a 10-22mm wide angle and a 100mm macro. I do have a Woody. Woody's diopter that is, it is a wet mount lens that I use shooting macro. Inexpensive and it works well. I'll post some photos here later.

Registered Users

D200 is a great camera, you will definitely be happy with it.

Lenses, i would start with the 60mm for macro and fish portrait type photos. Then add a WA zoom for some flexibility, say the Sigma 10-22. Or if you want one "do it all" lens i would suggest the Sigma 17-70mm, it has a macro setting so that is good.

The flip down macro is something similar to what Dennis is referring to, a Woody Diopter that fits on the front of the flat port and can be taken on and off underwater. But i wouldn't worry about that quite yet. Start with two lenses and go from there, one macro and one wide.

I would suggest the Inon 240 or Ikelite DS125 for strobe.

Housing: what sort of budget and where do you live? Recommendations will differ if you are in Europe or N. America

And of course... you should really enroll in a photo class so you can learn to use it all! Your local dive shop might have one or you can go on location to any number of places, many pros offer on location workshops in prime areas.

I'm in Southern California. I want a high quality housing as they should last.

Hi Mike! Mike taught me how to take photos in Nov. 2005 in Yap. I also went to his terrific photo workshop in Bali last November. It was so good, we signed up again for October this year. Great course, wonderful location.

A good photo course is what I would recommend to anyone starting out in U/W photography and Mike is one of the best.

Registered Users

being in the US i would contact Ryan Canon at www.reefphoto.com he can put a great package together for you. He is in Florida

I would suggest Aquatica, Sea and Sea, or Nexus as high quality products that are not over the top in price.

You can also look at www.backscatter.com in Monterey or www.h2ophotopros.com in LA. If you are close to LA i highly suggest going to someplace like h2o and getting your hands on some of these housings. Different sized hands and the balance of rigs etc is pretty important. They will let you try out several housings on a rental/try out basis.

Best thing with a dedicated shop is you have help right there when you need it

you want beers to go with the advice?
    It's a sin to live in the Philippines and not be able to dive.

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting into underwater photography but want to do it right. ("DIR?" lol.)

I am leaning in the direction of a Nikon D200 because it seems to be the best value for the $1500 price without lens. I know Canon makes some really good equipment with a higher megapixel count, but they're a fortune.

As to lenses, can any one make recommendations? I like macro, but is there a lens that can do both macro and decent wide angle shots?

How about housings? I see some of these housings that have flip down macro with real high magnification powers.
    The D200 is a nice setup - that's my primary setup. I have also a D70, which is also a great setup. D200 allows me a bit more latitude in cropping with the slightly higher resolution.

Remember also that megapixel count is definitely not the be-all or end-all of looking for a good camera. I think sometimes people focus a little too much on megapixels - but it is a major marketing point, though. Remember to double your resolution you need 4 times the number of megapixels, so the difference between an 8 mpix and 10 mpix camera from a resolution standpoint is negligible. I'd rather have better dynamic range than a few more megapixels.

There are a number of great housings available. Ikelite makes a great housing for the D200 - I have an Ike housing for my D70. I went with the Aquatica housing for the D200 - one of the reasons was that it was the only one I found that was rated to 300 ft. Plus it was nicely designed too .

For lenses, I would say the 60mm micro would be a good first macro lens, like Mike mentions. The 12-24mm is a decent wide zoom, affording some flexibility in the focal length. With a mid-range zoom I tend to think you do tend to sacrifice something to "have it all", ironically. Not that it's necessarily bad, but my personal preference is to go with a specific lens for a specific job.

That banded coral shrimp photo on your website was really nice! What lens did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    That banded coral shrimp photo on yoru website was really nice! What lens did you use?
    Thanks. That was the one in Roatan last January. It was with the Nikkor 60mm micro (macro lens) on my Ike/D70 setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast