Thread: Left Behind Diver Swims 12 hours to Island

Default Left Behind Diver Swims 12 hours to Island

Thomas Holz, a 40 year old resident of Berlin, Germany swam 10 kilometers overnight for 12 hours before reaching Taveuni in Fiji.

"I felt alone and couldn't stop thinking of my family back in Germany, my wife and children and how they would be devastated if I didn't make it. That gave me the strength to keep on swimming," Mr Holz said.

Holz along with 3 other divers were on a dive vacation organized by Bubble Divers at the Rainbow Reef near Viani Bay in Vanua Levu at 5pm.

After about a half hour into the dive, Holz surfaced due to running low on air.

"The dive master told me to hold on where I was while he dived for the remaining three who had also run out of air," Mr Holz said.

"The boat was about 100 feet away and I could see it on the horizon but couldn't swim for it because the currents were too strong."

A local police spokesman named Atunaisa Sokomuri said when the dive master resurfaced a few minutes later with the other tourists, Holz could not be found.

"They searched until 9pm and called it off and started again at 5am yesterday," Mr Sokomuri said.

"I could see lights at a place in Vanua Levu but was worried if I swam for it I would wash up in an isolated place with no one around to help so I swam for Taveuni which, although further off, was more populated," he said.

"I felt alone so I decided to swim slowly to balance my energy so that I could last." Holz added.

"The currents were strong, and my main fear was for my family in Germany. Even though I was tired, I hung on to the oxygen cylinder and kept swimming," said Holz, "Then early this morning [Tuesday], I felt the seabed and just screamed out for help before I collapsed on the shore."

A local woman heard his cries and helped him from shore. Holz has recovered and is continuing his tourist activities on an eco tour.

"I am feeling tired and although the experience was scary, it is something I won't forget," he said.
    Attached Images Attached Images

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Can you say Safety Sausage????!!!!! Big one!!!!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

yea plus I'd swim as hard as I could if I was only 100 ft from the boat it beats 10km!

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Tough guy, glad he made it
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle