Thread: Georgia Aquarium's Whale Shark Sudden Death

Default Georgia Aquarium's Whale Shark Sudden Death

Questions remain in whale shark death (from CNN - http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...ath/index.html)

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Officials at the Georgia Aquarium said Tuesday that it could take weeks to figure out why Ralph the whale shark suddenly died last week.

Scientists from the aquarium, the University of Georgia and the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Florida, conducted a necropsy, or animal autopsy, on the 22-foot fish Friday.

Tissue samples from the shark are still being analyzed, and some samples were frozen for future research, aquarium officials said in a news release.

After the necropsy, Ralph's one- ton remains were sent to a crematorium. The ashes will then go to an undisclosed animal cemetery, aquarium spokeswoman Ashley Manning said.

Ralph stopped swimming Thursday afternoon and teams of divers and veterinarians worked for about eight hours to try to save him.

Whale sharks are the world's largest fish and can grow up to 66 feet in length. Very little is known about the gentle animals that feed on plankton and small fish that they filter into their wide, flat mouths. (Learn more about whale sharks)

Aquarium officials said, in a news release, that scientists have already learned new things about whale sharks from the necropsy, including how they control their eyes and filter water to catch food. (Watch how the aquarium will learn from Ralph )

The Georgia Aquarium is the only facility outside of Asia that holds whale sharks. It got them by negotiating with Taiwan, which catches the animals for food.

Aquarium executive director Jeff Swanagan said the three surviving whale sharks --Norton, Alice and Trixie -- appear to be swimming normally but that the staff is watching them closely.

The World Conservation Union lists the whale shark as a vulnerable species. Heavy fishing of the whale shark in several areas of Asia is believed to be one reason for its population decline.

Ralph was the second popular animal to die at the aquarium in this month.

On January 2, Gasper the beluga whale was euthanized. He had suffered from a string of chronic illness even before he came to the aquarium.

Swanagan said the deaths were unrelated and that the animals lived in separate tanks with different water supplies.

CNN writer David Williams contributed to this report.
    ><((((º>`·.¸.·^·.¸.¸><((((º>
    . .·^·.. ><((((º>`·.¸.·^·...¸><((((º>

-Mallory

Great report, but I am sad for Ralphie

City
    Toronto
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Truly sad. They were both magnificent creatures,
    I visited the Aquarium shortly after it opened.
    I strongly disagree with keeping large animals in Aquariums or any kind of enclosure.
    I did find this aquarium made the effort to simulate a smaller but real marine environment.
    Most enterprise claim that holding these beautiful creatures is for public education.
    Unfortunately it's mostly for profit and greed.
    When I visited the aquarium, I had the opportunity to speak to one of Jasper's attendants.
    I was told he had come from an aquarium in Mexico and the fact that he had been badly treated was evident from scars all over his body.
    He had much less body fat than the other whales
    Nevertheless he seemed so happy of his new home and reacted well to being treated with kindness.
    He seemed to be the happiest Beluga in the tank.
    He was swimming, spinning and rolling and just plain having fun.
    I guess it's all relative!
    The extent of his injuries was severe, and at the time the keepers were happy with his recovery.
    It seems that the months of mistreatment in Mexico finally took their toll.
    The aquarium had great visibility because of the two Whale Sharks.
    They are truly magnificient, and should never be confined to small spaces.
    I have been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to dive with Whale Sharks on many occasions.
    It is an amazing and humbling experience evry time.
    I read of the death as well.
    It was a very sad day.

Cornel
    Protect SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

NEVER STOP LEARNING

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

While a lot of people disagree with keeping animals like this in captivity do they realise the scientific data that gets accummulated from capture? No i will agree its not its natural surroundings so not everything will be the same but some things go on day after day no matter if its in the ocean and free or in a pool swimming in circles. It is a tragic loss whether it be wild or captive theres no difference there but sometimes a few things suffering can provide a lot more with happiness. Just my opinion.

Matt

Registered Users

Default Ralph

I have video of all four whale sharks not too long ago. Magnificent creatures.
    I agree with some posts that containing these living beings for our viewing
    pleasure is wrong. I also agree that unless we can and begin to do something
    to protect them, the only place we will find them are at aquariums and zoos.
    This is most unfortunate. As a diver, I have grown from just recreational
    diver with curiousity to one that appreciates the life that surrounds me as I
    dive. I have come to love and respect them. "Do no harm" is a motto I try to
    live by.
    Everytime I dive, I alway say my piece, "Not not touch or harm anything."
    I just say it out loud, not to anyone specifically, just loud enough so people think that I am talking to myself, out loud. I hope they get the hint.
    We are in their home, respect it as you would want someone to respect yours.

Registered Users

In Atlanta, Georgia is a third beluga whale belonging to the world's largest aquarium has died,and its on Monday.
    The exact accident of Nico's sudden death on Saturday isincomfort from the initial animal autopsy. The Georgia Aquarium searching many more information finding for mounting.
    "As we work with and care for the many animals at the Georgia Aquarium, we become attached emotionally,"

Country
    USA

I just don't see how one can keep large plankton eating pelagic animal....
    SMN Publisher