Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba Olympics

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default Scuba Olympics

As we all know the olympics are on in Beijing at the moment.

If scuba diving was classed as an olympic sport....What do you think would be the type of scuba activities that would be included?

....swimming through hoops that get smaller and smaller, retrieving hidden objects, fast scuba swim, making bubbles...

Discuss.......
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I can't see any way to make scuba an Olympic sport without making it unsafe and against the basic things we were taught in our first scuba classes. Plus I think that most people enjoy scuba because it is not competitive as other sports are.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I realise that Ace, I posted this up more as tongue in cheek, plus I was in that type of mood last night.
    Lottie

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Blowing bubble rings! Form, size, length of time they remain intact, I'm sure we could come up with a scoring system.
    Water entries? Backroll from the 10M diving board might be entertaining. Or perhaps the giant stride from the springboard? Keep the guages close, hold the mask, point the fins and smoothly into the water with hardly a ripple!
    As long as we don't get the same judges they had in some of the gymnastics in Beijing, it should all work fine.
    Any other suggestions?
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Registered Users

Default Accccccccceeeess

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    I realise that Ace, I posted this up more as tongue in cheek, plus I was in that type of mood last night.
    Now Ace, you should have picked up on that... Focus!
    lol
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

We've had our own "scuba Olympics" here as part of a local charity event ... we did relay races on snorkel gear (on land ... very funny) ... A "tank toss", throwing an empty AL80 for distance ... I also have wanted to see a navigation type event where you get your first bearing at shore, and then if you follow the bearing correctly you will find uw stations with maybe a code and a new bearing to the next station. Also perform a scuba rescue getting docked points for things you miss or do out of sequence or something.
    Last edited by seasnake; 08-27-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: (on land ... very funny)
    -- "I'd like to be ... under the sea ... In an octopus' garden ... in the shade ..."

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    A "tank toss", throwing an empty AL80 for distance ....
    Out of curiosity - What was the state of the tank after the throwing? Any dents or anything???? And what was the furthest throw?
    Lottie

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    Blowing bubble rings! Form, size, length of time they remain intact, I'm sure we could come up with a scoring system.
    Water entries? Backroll from the 10M diving board might be entertaining. Or perhaps the giant stride from the springboard? Keep the guages close, hold the mask, point the fins and smoothly into the water with hardly a ripple!
    As long as we don't get the same judges they had in some of the gymnastics in Beijing, it should all work fine.
    Any other suggestions?
    If they allowed 9 year old's to dive!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I can't see any way to make scuba an Olympic sport without making it unsafe and against the basic things we were taught in our first scuba classes. Plus I think that most people enjoy scuba because it is not competitive as other sports are.
    I agree 100%, but ever heard of Photography/Videography? lol
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    As we all know the olympics are on in Beijing at the moment.

If scuba diving was classed as an olympic sport....What do you think would be the type of scuba activities that would be included?

....swimming through hoops that get smaller and smaller, retrieving hidden objects, fast scuba swim, making bubbles...

Discuss.......
    SAC rate! Breath holding and lung expansion! Fastest down and up? Done only once! How many lobster can you pull from the reef on one tank, no rules on damage to the reef! I can think of a whole bunch more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast