Thread: What have you built?

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I have Vance Harlow's book, it is excellent. Don't have the Peterbuilt one, I'll check into it. Most shops in my neck of the woods aren't to fussy to sell just parts. I work at a shop and still find it hard to get things like service kits except for the regs the shop carries. (That is another story!) Have you purchased from Peterbuilt before? Will they sell to individuals?
    Peterbuilt will sell to anyone, no minmum orders, no asking for anything beyond payment. They are likely one of thest sources you will find for reg tools. Their spanner wrenches are not the best, but the rest of their products are top notch.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

I have found Snap-on tools to have excellent spanner wrenches, also their other tools more than stand up to test. They have a line of wrenches called "Flank drive plus" that are GREAT for removing items that have rounded off flats. This is from divers trying to do their own stuff with THE WRONG TOOLS!!! (a pet peeve of mine, from my dive shop days) Their sockets are also very good.

Registered Users

I got the scubapro multi tool from peterbuilt and the oxy hacker and reg books.
    All very good purchases. I also have a source for service kits for scubapro in NZ

I have to admit I leave it to the pros, don't want to take any chances just to save a buck. I did buid a drying rack or tree which fits all my gear on it and it's dry in hours.

Default What I have built

Hi There

I have built a Cannister light (mark VII me thinketh....
    I have also modified and converted a Russian IDA-71 to a KISS MCCR.

It is not always about saving a buck ,although in my rebreather case it was some of that...but it is sometimes the challenge of being able to do it, and then finding ways and means to overcome obstcles in the path to perfection.
    And it is fun..........

I am looking for ideas on building a DPV / scooter next.

ANybody that can spare some plans and pics

I will appreciate it

Best Regrds

Johan Pretorius

Divingtoors ask WreckDiver in the DPV thread he had pics of ones he made, maybe he's willing to share.

If I can help let me know.
    The pics of the tail ends of the scooters and 1 of the machines in my garage is on the first page of this thread.

Dago.

Registered Users

in reference to rebuild kits...i've had the college class on repair and maintenance...just no luck on obtaining oceanic parts. any links for a suplier to obtain parts?

also...new to this site...any DIY video housing plans out there?
    dan
    pm if you need to
    Last edited by aowdan; 03-28-2007 at 06:27 AM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

G'day and welcome aboard Dan. How simply or elaborate do you want the housing? If the cam is small and fits you can try an old tank with the neck machined off and an o-ring groove put into it then a disk of perspex or lexan or your choice of clear whatever clipped on the front. Just needs a set of mounting rails to slide the camera in on and to hold it in place. Just hit record put the cam in and clip it shut and go diving. Does make for a lot of editing and flat batteries but also works.
    Even cheaper is using pipe in the same fashion but with a tubeless car tyre valve in it. Figure out what depth your going to and pump it up to just over that. Going to 30 metres? Give it 4 bar and a bit extra for safety. Not recommended for deep dives though. Make sure you use pressure rated pipe if you do it as well.

Matt

Registered Users

thanks for the tips, i did find some plans. i'd have to look for the website. never thought about an old tank. i think i have a buddy with one. tire inflator? never even thought about that. makes sense. i thought about some pvc to see if it would stand the pressure (without the camera at first of course!)
    dan
    I love my job as a Parachute Rigger... but I'd rather just dive!
    Dano

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast