Thread: What have you built?

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default What have you built?

For those not inclined to build a rebreather have you built anything else?
    Got any pics or hints and tips?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I just talked to a machinist friend of mine about making a few little things like first stage holders, stuff like that. If the turn out okay I'll post some pics. Hoping to build a tank tumbler in the near future too.

Anybody know good places on the net (or elsewhere) to get stuff that the dive shop won't sell you? (service kits, o-rings, specialty tools, etc., etc.)

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

For o-rings you could try the local bearing or hydraulic hose people near you. They usually have bulk lots and every size and type under the sun. Service kits i think there was a place in Germany or Spain doing them. I dont have any more info than that. As for specialty tools, how special are they? Have a look around a good tool shop and you might find most that you need. A lot of them while being special are just generic but not used that often.

Matt

So far I have built a bunch of 21watt HID lights, 10 scooters and a bunch of reels. The RB parts are coming along just fine also.!

Dago.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I just talked to a machinist friend of mine about making a few little things like first stage holders, stuff like that. If the turn out okay I'll post some pics. Hoping to build a tank tumbler in the near future too.

Anybody know good places on the net (or elsewhere) to get stuff that the dive shop won't sell you? (service kits, o-rings, specialty tools, etc., etc.)
    Most dive shops will sell you everything with some restrictions on the service kits (depending upon the reg manufacturer) but they can be found if you look hard enough. Orings are rather easy to source, try McMaster-Carr or Air-Oil. For specialty tools, Peterbuilt tools is hard to beat as they have just about everything you need for every make of reg on the market. You would also do well to pick up a copy of the oxyhacker's reg maintenance manual from airspeed press; Peterbuilt offers a similar manual but most agree that oxyhacker's is a bit easier for the average person to follow and understand (both are great references to have on hand.)

Scooter project got out of hand.!
    Helps if you have one of these in your garage.!

Dago
    Attached Images Attached Images

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You must have a big garage. They look pretty neat do you need anyone to test them?

Matt

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

A CNC in your garage? Now you are living my fantasy.........or at least a part of it. I wish I had the room to set up a little shop. All my modifications are done at work.

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    A CNC in your garage? Now you are living my fantasy.........or at least a part of it. I wish I had the room to set up a little shop. All my modifications are done at work.

South Florida.?
    If you need anything stop buy and use it.
    I live in sarasota county, mm182 on I75.
    thanks

Dago.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    Most dive shops will sell you everything with some restrictions on the service kits (depending upon the reg manufacturer) but they can be found if you look hard enough. For specialty tools, Peterbuilt tools is hard to beat as they have just about everything you need for every make of reg on the market. You would also do well to pick up a copy of the oxyhacker's reg maintenance manual from airspeed press; Peterbuilt offers a similar manual but most agree that oxyhacker's is a bit easier for the average person to follow and understand (both are great references to have on hand.)
    I have Vance Harlow's book, it is excellent. Don't have the Peterbuilt one, I'll check into it. Most shops in my neck of the woods aren't to fussy to sell just parts. I work at a shop and still find it hard to get things like service kits except for the regs the shop carries. (That is another story!) Have you purchased from Peterbuilt before? Will they sell to individuals?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast