Thread: Another beginner equipment question...

Registered Users

Default Another beginner equipment question...

I've been diving for many years, but not taking pictures. I am in northern California (Humboldt County) where the visibility generally stinks. However, there is a lot of life in the ocean so there will be good days. I probably will focus on rock fish, as well as macro-invertebrates. I may also venture into the Bay and rivers to try to get pictures of salmon, tidewater goby, etc..I will take an occasional vacation to warm waters, but really want something that will meet my needs here.

I want to spend less than $1000 total. I have my eye on the DC-800 with one strobe, as it sounds like a good camera. However, I am concerned that if I "get good", I will want something better. So I am curious if there is something better in my price range, or something that would be easier to upgrade later if I want to?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Adam

City
    Vista
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Default Sea Life DC800

I am on my second Sea Life Camera. I started with a DC600 and now have a DC800. My reason for upgrading to the DC800 was the increased battery life. The DC600 battery won't last through a dive while the battery in the DC800 has lasted 2 dives. I think for the money they are a pretty decent camera. for about $800 you will have a pretty good set up that work well and is reliable. I eventually will get into a DSLR set up but your initial investment is very high. One option you might consider is getting the DC800 camera and then buying a Sea and Sea Strobe that would transfer better to a high end camera. It would be a more expensive option but the equipment will be usable with a higher end camera. I use mine in the San Diego area where vis is often not that great either and have gotten good results. Some pictures on my photobucket mostly with the DC600 and a Sea Life digital strobe.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x59/bmchugh_photo/

Brian

Registered Users

Thanks for the advice Brian. I think I will go with the DC800.

Adam

Registered Users
    City
    Windsor
    Country
    Canada

I have also been looking at the Sea Life cameras. The question I have with the DC800; do you find the buttons on the back difficult to press with gloves on? The picture on the website makes them look pretty small. I have been looking at the DC1200 because I think I like the button layout better.