Thread: Go to or stay away from Roatan-Jan 09 ?

Registered Users

Default Go to or stay away from Roatan-Jan 09 ?

Hi all,
    I'm trying to set up a trip to Roatan mid to end January 09. My travel agent says its usually rainy/ windy ( not too pleasant is the message I'm getting). Has anyone been down there in January, I've checked a few other boards/ tripadvisor, but haven't really found any decent info. I'd appreciate any input...

Thanks.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Can't comment on January weather in Roatan, we went in November. However, we stayed at Anthony's Key Resort and the week we were there the weather was terrible. I have very little good to say about the resort and how they handled the situation. For an organisation with their reputation, who have been in business for as long as they have, you'd think it was the first time they had seen a storm.

It was a couple of years ago and I don't need to go into it here, but happy to provide my reasons for anyone who is interested. Suffice it to say I will not be going back there any time soon.

From the diving point of view, I was also disappointed with the fish life on the reefs in Roatan. There seems to be no restrictions on fishing and we hardly saw a fish over about 8 inches long. Just my views, I have seen some very positive reports about Roatan so it could, of course, just have been luck.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Registered Users
    City
    Fort Myers
    State
    Fl
    Country
    USA, Colombia

Although I’ve never been to Roatan, The weather there is similar to San Andres and Old Providence Islands a few hundred miles to the southeast, where I have traveled since 2000, 8 to 10 time a year.
    January is typically known in the area for what is locally called the northern winds month. So yes the winds can get a bit rough at this time of year and with the wind comes poor visibility for diving. But I will also say some of the best weather I have encountered has been in January also, a bit cooler and less humidity than sauna months of the summer, which is perfect for me. Just like any other time of the year you have to take your chances on the weather cooperating.
    Ciao
    Tad

Registered Users

Cool

Thanks Tad, Shenek, I guess its like everything else, you takes your chances these days, weather is getting less and less predictable I guess....
    Its just too great a deal to pass up, so I think we'll end up..................

Ciao

Registered Users
    Country
    Canada

Default November or December?

What is the weather like in November or early December?

Thanks,

Registered Users
    City
    Fort Myers
    State
    Fl
    Country
    USA, Colombia

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    What is the weather like in November or early December?

Thanks,
    November is the end of Hurricane season, December should be pleasant. Again I am a few hundred miles to the south and have never been to Roatan. In San Andres and Old Providence November/December are one of the rainy seasons. I don’t think it affects Roatan. I am no weather man but what I notice this time of year the hurricanes come from the western Caribbean, San Andres area, as a disturbance and upon departure it turns into a hurricane. So this is our rainy season. I don’t think this is the case in Roatan but these systems could go toward that area.