Thread: Boredom on Deco

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Boredom on Deco

On from the Nitrox thread what do people do to relieve the boredom of Deco?
    When your sitting on a reef somewhere with lots to look at and swim around it bearable but when your midwater, in a roaring current. or vis that you cant see what your hanging on what do you do?

Matt

Registered Users

I avoid almost all deco by diving closed circuit! The few times I have done deco, it has been on reefs with so much marine life that you just watch it as it goes by.

I know some guys have Vr3's and they play computer games on it during long hang times.

I guess you could have the underwater Mp3 players but I personally don't think that is safe blocking your hearing.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ive been on the lookout for a housing for a Gameboy for years. Never seem to find one. Noughts and crosses tends to fill up and dive slate too quick and also gets boring.

Matt

I dive all OC at this time so some of my wreck diving requires some 80/100 minutes of deco but I never find myself bored. I am usually thinking about the next dive or making sure all the other divers are fine and vise versa.
    If I find one of the team just day dreaming I will usually sneak over and tie a line to them and then keep pulling it slowly and watch them squirm around until they figure out what is going on. Also there is alway the scooter racing.!

Dago.

Registered Users

Read a cheap paperback.
    When the North California fishery crashed in the 1940s, everyone in Monterey wondered where the sardines had gone, Ed Ricketts, marine biologist and colleague of John Steinbeck had the answer, "They're in cans."

Guidance on what fish to eat may be found here

Registered Users

Yeah, buy the crappiest, most worthless magazine you can find.....

Oprah comes to mind.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

If its a long deco the cheap ones turn to pulp too quick. Although it may make you feel a bit uncomfortable in a wetsuit playboy and penthouse are the 2 best because they are so glossy and the paper is a bit heavier. It doesnt solve the problem for a lot of the girls but.

Matt

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Playing games with my buddies accessories (reels, etc.). We like to sneak up and steal their gear and see how long it takes for them to notice. Doing emergency bailout calculations is always a good reminder. Refigure your SAC rate to the decimal. All this also helps to see how your bouancy is being maintained. I try not to start thinking about work, it really distracts me!

I practise my air rings. It's fun to try to get one to go up through another.

I've always seen photos of divers blowing buble rings but I have NO idea how you do that......If you told me would you have to kill me? lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast