Thread: No fly time question

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Default No fly time question

During my recent dive trip, my Suunto Mosquito Dive computer had a "No fly time" of more than 24 hours.

All were "No Decompression" dives and we had our appropriate safety stops done, wonder why the "No fly time" was more than ~30 hours. Me and another diver having the same dive computer had the same encounter >30 hours "No fly time"

Anyone could offer an explanation? It'll be good to know. Anyone else encountered similar incidents on their Dive computers (what brand)? Thanks!

(we board the flight even with the "No Fly time" icon on, but we had >26 hours surface interval)
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Country
    USA

I spoke with Suunto this morning on your behalf and they said if your Mosquito computer was NOT in air or nitrox mode, it would recognize it did not have full dive information and it would switch to being extremely conservative and the result would be an really long no fly time.

They said there are several modes it could have been in, one is called gauge mode, the other is called free dive mode.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Default Longer tissues

I guess some tissues were not completely off gases after 30 hours..
    I can only image which tissue that is...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I spoke with Suunto this morning on your behalf and they said if your Mosquito computer was NOT in air or nitrox mode, it would recognize it did not have full dive information and it would switch to being extremely conservative and the result would be an really long no fly time.

They said there are several modes it could have been in, one is called gauge mode, the other is called free dive mode.
    Thanks. Validated that my settings were for "Air", and not EAN or Free mode.

So still puzzled by the long "No fly time"
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I think i have the same thing with my dive comp (Mares Nemo) - I haven't seen how long its stay in "no fly mode" for, but then again, I haven't fully worked out all the functions and buttons and gizmos!
    Lottie

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

It's my understanding that dive computers don't just use the recommended "no fly" times that you learned on your course for that part of their display. The no fly time is based on an algorithm calculation of theoretical tissue compartments etc etc blah blah blah and so might come out to who knows what.
    -- "I'd like to be ... under the sea ... In an octopus' garden ... in the shade ..."

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Get an Oceanic Data Plus Pro II and end your shorter bottom times and fly in 24hrs. although 12hr shows no difference according to DAN, but Suunto is just too conservative!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Oops, Pro Plus II!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users

I had a suunto stinger and did a bounce dive to 45ft to free my anchor after a dive. I ascended too quickly and the watch locked me out of my next dive and hit me with a 48 hr no fly time. Did your watch hit you with a slow!! Or Stop!!! On the way up?

I called a friend who is a seasoned dive instructor and PADI course director, he said take an hour and a half SI to be safe before the next dive(which the computer refused to participate in) and welcome to Suunto dive computers unnecessarily conservative rules.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Suunto makes a good product, they are just too worried about being sued!?!?!?