Thread: Magnet a day keeps shark away

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Default Magnet a day keeps shark away

Interesting article found on the web. Anyone can verify it's effectiveness? Wouldn't want to be carrying a big magnet thinking it can ward off sharks but end up getting stuck to a ship wreck!

-------------------------------

RESEARCHERS in north Queensland have discovered that magnets can act as an effective tool to ward off sharks, but not necessarily for humans.

In what is claimed to be a world-first, scientists from the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries and James Cook University have shown magnets can repel sharks.

It is hoped the magnets will keep sharks out of fishing nets set for barramundi.

Trials have been conducted in controlled conditions in Cairns. The research team will soon conduct field trials to determine the practical use of magnets in the gillnet fishery.

The researchers do not believe the magnetic repulsion will prevent shark attacks on people
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Mythbusters TV show tested this one and, I believe, found some validity. Not sure it has any practical use for diving, I guess you could make your weights out of magnets, but I suspect your navigation may be suspect as the compass would go a little haywire. What about magnetizing steel tanks?

Anyway, if they can find a practical way to keep sharks out of nets, that would be a good thing.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    What about magnetizing steel tanks?

Sure, and after the dive, the captain can pry all of the divers that are attached to the bottom of his boat, that is if they don't get stuck to the wreck.

By the way, how many divers do you know that were attacked by sharks?

Moreover, how many divers want to keep sharks away? We pay big money to go on dives, just to see sharks! How many NON Divers are attacked by sharks every year? I think we should stop wasting our time preventing a rare event, and spend that time working on something really needed, like ways to prevent shark fining!

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

No argument here. Now if we could just get everyone to stop ordering the soup, problem would disappear very quickly.

Thinking about magnetic tanks, just had a mental image of two divers, underwater, back to back, steel tanks stuck together! Made me smile!
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Registered Users

Default They do

No argument here. Now if we could just get everyone to stop ordering the soup, problem would disappear very quickly.

Thinking about magnetic tanks, just had a mental image of two divers, underwater, back to back, steel tanks stuck together! Made me smile!
    Opposites Attract.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

LOL, I guess that is how they make pony bottles. J/K

Registered Users

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    LOL, I guess that is how they make pony bottles. J/K
    Good one... :-)
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Sure, and after the dive, the captain can pry all of the divers that are attached to the bottom of his boat, that is if they don't get stuck to the wreck.

By the way, how many divers do you know that were attacked by sharks?
    !
    LOL. There's always a slim chance of shark attack, so having some form of protection would be good. shark pod (is it effective against Great Whites) is expensive but if a cheaper magnet can do the job, why not?

We love to see sharks but only from a distance, so having some protection should a shark comes too close would give a piece of mind if we know we have some form of protection.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by greenturtle View Post

We love to see sharks but only from a distance....
    Oh, well there is the issue. I want to get really close and even touch/interact with them. Did you ever see how they push the snout of a Great White, and it suddenly just stops in it's tracks? Pretty cool stuff.

By the way, anyone got a spare arm?

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

By the way, anyone got a spare arm?
    Use the metal rod (extended) LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast