Thread: Back in the water

Registered Users
    City
    Solihull
    Country
    UK

Default Back in the water

I optomistically posted a message back in January that I was returning to diving after too long an absence, over 30 years.

Well I eventually made it and am now looking forward to diving in some warmer waters than those of the UK.

To that end has anyone dived in St Maarten and if so could you recommend a dive crew on the South side of the island. By the time i get there I'll only have about 20 dives logged so still a bit of a novice.

Thanks

I know Lottie here is more up to speed on the Caribbean.

Lottie is in St. Lucia.
    St. Marten, from what I have read, is not a GREAT dive area. Few bottom features, and no-one has mentioned Pelagics, or coral formations.
    Lottie's area is supposed to be better.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

oldmac, welcome back to the boards and congrats on getting back in the water again after so long.

As for st maarten (sxm), h2o is right, it's not that good - there are far better places to go diving in the caribbean - st lucia for one .

If you are going to sxm, try and see if you can get a ferry over to saba as the diving there is markedly superior (so, i've heard anyway).

The only place i know of in sxm is Dive Safaris, based out of phillipsburg. I have heard they are a bit of a cattle boat outfit?!

HTH
    Lottie

Registered Users
    City
    St. Thomas
    State
    VI
    Country
    USA

Hi oldmac, I have dived with Dive Safaris in SXM, and it was nice, nothing that spectacular, but the water's always warm and usually great vis!! I have heard that there are now some shark dives available there, and same as Lottie, I believe Saba is supposed to have far superior diving to SXM. It is just a huge rock thrust out of the ocean floor..... I live in the US Virgin Islands and you really have to find a more 'local' operation to avoid the cattle boats! Well enjoy your trip- I'm sure the warm, clear Caribbean will beat the UK anyday. B