View Poll Results: Do you log your dives?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I log all of them in my log book

8 33.33%
  • Yes - I log all of them, but on the PC

3 12.50%
  • Yes - I log all of them in log book and on PC

7 29.17%
  • Sorta - I log only some of my dives

5 20.83%
  • No - I don't log any of my dives

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you log your dives?

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    Florida
    Country
    USA

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't log my dives. At around 1000 dives, I guess I don't see the need to do it. I actually stopped logging them at around 500. My VR3 dive computer store quite a few dives, and so if an operator wanted to see currency, I could scroll through that for them. Many of our more memorable dives get written up in trip reports with photography, so I can always remember them that way.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I still log all mine, the old fashioned way. I did actually make up my own log book sheet to put in my log book so I could record the stuff I wanted. Good for keeping track of info on dive sites too, and tracking things like temperatures at the local spots. A lot of times I'll draw little diagrams of the site so I can find stuff again, or doodle pics of weird critters I saw so I can look them up later.
    -- "I'd like to be ... under the sea ... In an octopus' garden ... in the shade ..."

City
    Lloydminster
    State
    AB
    Country
    Canada

When I started diving I used to log all my dives. Then my book got stolen. I remembered about how many dives I had and continued on. Then all my books were lost along with our house in the 2004 tsunami. Except the most recent book used to log what companies I worked for on what dates, which dive sites and the number of divers I took. I used this to make sure I got paid correctly so I made no notes other than the above info. If you have a computer that can download your dives just use this and as mempilot said let the photos be memories. They make better memories than logbook descriptions!
    I also put down the dive number in each entry to remember how many dives I have. Clients like to know this so I like to have a fairly accurate record......at least to the closest 25 or so. I think a lot of people keep log books for the first 100 or 200 or so dives then get tired and stop. They just remember about how many dives they have. And that's usually good enough. We only ask to see dive card and number of dives for clients. Other operators may ask to see log books. But I can't see any of them turning away business because you don't have one. As long as you have a card!

I log 'em all...some more, some less.

Almost all of them get some sort of write up in my log book - it might only be location and date but it might be all manner of details from time/depth to the conditions, the creatures I saw, the behaviours I noted, changes from something I observed last time.

Sometimes I'm very good at doing this and other times I leave it and use Lightroom's details and the images to jog my memory before I write it down.

I have quite a few dives so far and can't see that I will change the way I do things much!

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

I stopped logging at 850 dives. Now I just download them from my dive computer onto the PC and print them out. Even then I don't do every dive, I have to log all teaching dives though.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Nah. I don't regularly log dives. On some special dive trips I do, just to remember the names of dive sites, but even then, I usually forget to do it because I never log dives when I'm not away.

Registered Users
    City
    MEXICO CITY
    State
    Q.Roo mayan riviera
    Country
    MEXICO

Default re; doyou log your dives ......

not anymore i stop some years ago....

I do but that's partly because I have too to keep certification. Also it's nice to go through old log books and see what dives I've done that I forgot about like my 8th dive out of OW was a solo dive...oh well it didn't take long for me to break the "rules"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12