View Poll Results: Do you log your dives?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I log all of them in my log book

8 33.33%
  • Yes - I log all of them, but on the PC

3 12.50%
  • Yes - I log all of them in log book and on PC

7 29.17%
  • Sorta - I log only some of my dives

5 20.83%
  • No - I don't log any of my dives

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you log your dives?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default Do you log your dives?

Still being a noob at diving (44 dives over 1 year), i still log my dives and coming close to finishing up my first log book.

Even now, looking back at the dives i've done and what i've written it's nice to see what I saw, how i was diving, whether it was a good dive or not due to whatever reason. Plus it'd be nice to have something for my kids to look at in the future.

So, do you still log your dives?
    Lottie

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

I try to log them all these days, particularly when on holiday somewhere. We'll take a few minutes in the bar at the end of the dive day to jot down a few notes in the log book, depth, time and all that stuff but also what we saw and anything out of the ordinary.

We do a lot of training dives in lakes around here and I have to confess to not being as dilligent as I should be on those. Tend to just download the computer periodically with lots of "O/W training dive" and little else written.

My recommendation is to log them all, I didn't log dives for a number of years and regret that. I don't have a good enough memory to recall them all so it would be nice to have those little reminders. Also, some dive operators like to see a log book, just to show your level of experience and how recently you're been diving. That way they can judge the appropriate dive site and put people of similar skill levels together in the same group.

I did find one of my early BSAC log books (1978/79 era) and it makes for some entertaining reading. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure how I survived.

Anyway, keep logging them, it only takes a few minutes and you will be glad you did in years to come.

Thanks for the reminder!
    I usually download the dives first then record them in my logbook
    Going there now

Registered Users

Default I'll do it later

That is what I usually say to myself, I'll do it later.
    I won't forget these 3 dives. 30 dives later I still haven't recorded
    any of them..

I wear a computer, I'll just download the data.. OK.. When do
    I do that? I won't forget those 50 dives... 100 dives later, I still
    haven't downloaded the dives off of the computer...

I need a logbook Beotch with me... lol
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

My original logbook was stolen from car last year, so I knocked up a quick spreadsheet which just records the date, location, depth, time, gas mix and water temp.
    If I'm teaching or DMing OW courses, my little rule is : If I get out of the water between dives then it is 2 dives otherwise just one. And, I must confess, I rarely log boat scrubbing dives, even if I've spent an hour plus u/w.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    That is what I usually say to myself, I'll do it later.
    I won't forget these 3 dives. 30 dives later I still haven't recorded
    any of them..
    We are members of the same club. I always find I am trying to log the last 10 days of diving after one good dive that I want to log.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by rubber chicken View Post
    And, I must confess, I rarely log boat scrubbing dives, even if I've spent an hour plus u/w.
    I wouldn't either, unless it was part of my profession as record keeping is important with something like that.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

I only do it occasionally at some of the local marinas, usually on a beer money or bottle of scotch basis. Quite frequently get asked "As you are down there, could you look for my sunglasses/wallet/keepnet etc that I dropped overboard the other day?" by other boat owners. It amazes me that people who can sail through quite rough weather without a problem, can lose so many things over the side while secured fore and aft to a berthing jetty!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Country
    Canada

still log my dives, mostly though just for the memories that it brings back when I read through it.

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

I actually carry a journal (ie: Spiral notebook) with me on all my vacations, trips, cruises, etc. I write down everything about the trips (funny conversations on the way down, where we ate, where we stayed, things out of the ordinary we saw, things we did and any dive info) When I get home, I usually BLOG the trip and then I also log my dives in my log book with the info in my notebook. Both my log book and my notebook bring back great memories. My dive buddies wouldn't know what to do if they didn't see that notebook in the dry box. But, to answer the original question: Yes, I still log all my dives.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast