City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Default Keeping warm - suggestions or opinions

was told that i would probably need a 5mm with hood in 18C waters
    i owned a 3mm fullsuit and a 2mm shorty, here's my choices for keeping warm without investing in a 5mm suit (which will probably be under utilized)

1. wear the shorty, then the fullsuit over it (that makes 5mm)
    2. invest in a 2-3mm vest and wear the fullsuit over

Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Yes, I would wear both if that is what you have, unless you will be diving in those conditions on a regular basis. I would also suggest a hood, you will get a lot more warmth out of a hood then you will by adding a vest.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

If you consider the amount of heat lost through the head then a hood is a definite 'good idea' for increasing your comfort when diving in cooler waters. I would also recommend some gloves and it might be worth investigating one of the thermal rash vests for wearing under your wettie. Try stuff like this http://www.adventureextreme.com.au/c...o.php/9/0/4/31 or http://www.radiator.net/general/categories.aspx if you can find them near you.

HTH
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. Guess i'll probably stick to the Fullsuit over Shorty option, since it requires no further investment. Would look to get a vest when I come across one in future.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

I agree, layer what you've got, unless you are going to be regularly in the cooler water, then get the appropriate suit for the conditions. A hood makes a huge difference and you may consider a vest with attached hood. Also, I'd take gloves with you, if you're comfortable without them, no problem, but if it feels a little chilly they are handy to have in your BC pocket.

A hooded vest is a must if your going to be doing 18 deg C dives on a regular basis. For me gloves aren't really important, I'm use to working without them in 50 deg F water. Also you'll probably be a little chilly and I get the correct suit for you if your going to be diving on a regular basis. I believe 18C is around 65F and I wear my 7mm for those temps, usually without a hood.