Thread: 1st Dive Since OW

Hybrid View

Default 1st Dive Since OW

I'm gett'in kind'a antsy... Were leaving for the Keys next Wednesday. When we were last there (2/07) I did SNUBA. Returning north I promptly visited my LDS and signed up for SCUBA. We did our OW last September. I havent dove since then and am anxious to get wet outside a student / instructor situation. We're taking our 8 year old grandson along and plan to stay in Big Pine.

Any suggestions from those who have been there, done that? I'm wide open! I hear Noname Key has great pizza

I'll get some visit time in with my cousin. She has worked with NOAA as a marine biologist for 25 years and lives in Marathon. I hear the water is both flatter and warmer in the summer.. good! Sure hope we have good weather.

I'm borrowing a BC & Reg / computer from the LDS. I plan to pack it in a plain luggage case and check it. I'm a bit nervous about the airline loosing it or someone steeling it. The bag will be too big to carry on though.

I'll post a trip report along with a gob of pictures when we return.

Dave

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Hall's in Marathon is great for new divers! They often have training classes on their boats so you will feel safe and you can stay shallow! Have fun and dive!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

NICE! Have fun. I would surely tell the dive operator your situation so they can put you on the correct boat. You are going to have a great time! Be ready to relax and enjoy!

Do you have time to jump in a pool and re-aquint yourself with the gear...?

Just a thought...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

I think I can get a refresher this Monday or Tuesday. I agree I need to re-acquaint myself with the gear.

I'll be sure to check with the dive charters and let them know I'm new. Even shallow has me excited. I may do a dive on the Adolphus Busch. I understand it is a guided dive and may count toward my Advanced Certification.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

There are some nice reefs down there, you'll have a lot of fun. As for the Adolphus Busch, don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but when we did it the currents were pretty strong and it sits in about 100ft. Its a great dive, but you may want to save that one until you have a little more experience.

Talk to the dive operators as there are a number of other wreck options down there which may be more suitable.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip and we'll look forward to the report and photos.