Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What DPV do you recommend? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What DPV do you recommend?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Anything by Sea-Doo is a pool toy or a glorified version of one. At least everything I have seen.

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I know it is always a tradeoff, power on time versus size versus speed, but who makes a nice, compact scooter that has fast recharge, won't kill me if it dies and I need to swim back to the boat with it, can be made to float if it dies so I culd theoretically attach a sausage to it and retrieve it later, and all wrapped in a package that has good manufactuer repair support if needed?
    I have a pair of Farralon Mk-6 DPVs. They weigh in excess of 70 lbs apiece, have almost endless power on time, take forever to recharge and if you need to swim one back to the boat you'd best pray that your buddy is close by with the other. The manufacturer is loing gone (though I know him and still have a personal relationship). They can be found, every now and again, for reasonable prices on eBay and such. Great DPV, probobly not the one for you though. You should consider: the ARMJET

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

OK, I think I have found the best DPV ever designed.

This thing is a little slower than some of the others, but it does not use all of the battery power of the others, it has an unlimited max depth, the unit is cheap and parts are even cheaper. This is surely the best DPV on the market and will outlast ALL other DPV's!
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Registered Users

Default seadoo seascooter gti

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Anything by Sea-Doo is a pool toy or a glorified version of one. At least everything I have seen.
    I've had great luck with the
    Seadoo Seascooter GTI
    I do a lot of quick shore diving with a max 75ft depth and lugging a 50 lb DPV isn't realistic. It's nice and light and runs forever. I was just wondering if anyone had used the Seadoo Seascooter Explorer. It looks quite different from the GTI. One drawback is it may be to heavy for me at 32 pounds

Registered Users

Default sea doo seascooter explorer review

I did end up getting a Sea Doo Seascooter Explorer.

Here's my review of my new Sea-Doo Explorer
    What I like so far: First, it it really completely different than other Sea-doo Scooters. It feels like a very well thought out DPV with heavy duty construction and quiet operation. Shifting between the 3 speeds is very easy and can be done with one hand. The 3rd speed is very fast-good for getting to your dive spot but way to fast for cruising a reef. I find the 1st and 2nd speed are adequate most of the time. The battery charging system is very simple and convenient: Just pop the nose cone off, pull out the battery and place in charger-no disconnecting leads etc.
    What I don't like so far: Now I understand why the sea doo seascooter vs supercharged and seadoo gti seascooter
    at 18 pounds are popular with shore divers. The Explorer at 32 pounds may be lighter that most higher end DPVs but it's still pretty heavy to carry if you need to go anything but a short distance to your shore entry point.
    Battery indicator light could be larger.
    Extra batteries are pricey.
    Overall: So far, it has really exceeded my expectations especially at this price (being the nearest competitor starts at about $2000 us)

also, when you get bored just scootering...

check THIS out!

www.scubatics.org

That looks like so much fin, oops, I mean fun!!

To whom? I thought you'd be thanking someone who's name starts with an I...
    fickle fickle girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    Ok Smurfy.... We've had this discussion too many times

Er.. I'm a bit biased, but I think I'll have to send my vote to GI3 and the Gavin...

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ljj View Post
    To whom? I thought you'd be thanking someone who's name starts with an I...
    fickle fickle girl!!
    Heh.. funny thing is, is the only part that isn't Gavin on my scooter is the clutch.

Default But why take an internet forum's word for it....

When you can try them out in person!!!

There will be more on the schedule in the future months, and maybe even in a pond near you!!!

---------------------

Not sure where this is to be posted... it's a free thing as far as I can tell, so in reading the 'rules' and the topic, figured here is as good as any...

JULY 19TH, Saturday, Les Davies, Tacoma
    JULY 20th, Sunday, T-Dock, Mukilteo

Try out an X-scooter!!

Don't miss out on the FUN!

We will be there with Dive Rite and Bonica, 9am - 4pm

Contact info@dive-xtras.com for more details

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast