Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What DPV do you recommend? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What DPV do you recommend?

Registered Users

Default I think of Carl Seigan

Those other professional scooters will cost a pretty penny. As Carl would say
    Billions and Billions..
    That is my next purchase. I think after that, I will have pretty much
    sustained the dive industry for another 5 years. OMGosh, you should see my
    garage. It looks like a dive shop..
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am waiting to hear a report on how the cheepo scooter worked out. I can see spending $150 on one of those if it works. I can't fathom spending thousands on one of the good ones, even if they do work great. If the cheepy works though, I am sure it would be a blast to play with.

SO LET US KNOW HOW IT IS/WAS

Registered Users

There was a guy on our boat with one last summer. It lasted long enough to get really far from the boat b4 it failed and he had to tow it back. He did get almost 5 minutes use out of it. It was that exact model also, I remember the baby blue and the Stingray on the side.

You can sometimes get a pretty good deal on an Apollo on eBay. I've seen AV-1's sell for under $500.
    Last edited by sjspeck; 06-25-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

That sounds exactly like what I expected to hear. LOL.

So basically you save air for the first 5 minutes of the dive and then burn through your remaining air dragging that thing through the water.

I would love to hear from anyone that actually has or has had one of these.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I know it is always a tradeoff, power on time versus size versus speed, but who makes a nice, compact scooter that has fast recharge, won't kill me if it dies and I need to swim back to the boat with it, can be made to float if it dies so I culd theoretically attach a sausage to it and retrieve it later, and all wrapped in a package that has good manufactuer repair support if needed?

So now the truth comes out, SIZE DOES MATTER! For a good scooter that isn't too big I recomend the mini-Gavin. It is relatively light (about 17-19 kg. or 35-40 lbs.), does not overpower the user and is again, relatively manuverable. Submerge has an excellent line of scooters that are quite quick and easily balanced for the individual divers needs. The Gavins (full sized) are also work horses. I have used the mini and standard sized short body Gavins, as well as the UV-18 from Submerge. Truth-be-told, I like the submerge scooter the best. They really kick diver butt!! Oh yeah, they are blast to run as well.

That is my 2 psi, at depth.

All scooters should be balanced so as to be slightly positive bouyant, so hooking them to an SMB should not be an issue. As far customer support, while I have not had any interaction with the above mentioned manufacterers, the divers that I dive with have, and they are complimentary of both.

Questions?

Country
    Canada

another vote for the X Scooter, top notch!! much lighter than the older pioneering scooters and very durable

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Ok Smurfy.... We've had this discussion too many times

Er.. I'm a bit biased, but I think I'll have to send my vote to GI3 and the Gavin...

Country
    USA

Some of the CCR crowd swear by the Zeuxo ADV 14

No stainless steel buckles on the nose to snag on anything.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I ended up with the N-19 and I really like it. It's light and nimble, really fast and it has a pretty decent burn time. And I can carry it without killing myself.

Registered Users

Default Sea-Doo Seascooter Explorer

This looks cool: Sea-Doo Seascooter Explorer and the price is right but I havn't seen any reviews yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast