Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What DPV do you recommend?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What DPV do you recommend?

Hybrid View

Default What DPV do you recommend?

I know it is always a tradeoff, power on time versus size versus speed, but who makes a nice, compact scooter that has fast recharge, won't kill me if it dies and I need to swim back to the boat with it, can be made to float if it dies so I culd theoretically attach a sausage to it and retrieve it later, and all wrapped in a package that has good manufactuer repair support if needed?

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ive used an Apollo a few times and they are pretty good on speed but in top gear only get about an hour runtime out of them. Slow them down and you could fin nearly as quick but they go for much longer. Charging will always be a sore point. Quick charging isnt the best for the battery so a slow overnight charge will make the battery last longer.
    Havent used one but did a few dives with a guy who was using a silent submersion. MMMMMM very nice.
    There are a few cheapo ones coming out of China that get along ok but only rated to about 35m.
    All the ones ive seen in action didnt float or were very close to neutral so would need a bit of lift out of the sausage to keep it afloat.

Matt

The ones I make are pretty cool.!

I think the SS N-19 is BAD AZZ.!

Dago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WreckDiver; 01-23-2007 at 12:52 PM.

www.dirtydiving.com - DIR is not a 4-letter word!

One big vote here for the X-Scooter.
    I have sold 5 without a hitch for over a year now.
    Very Light and Compact, the speed control trigger sets it apart from other scooters as well as the brushless motor.

Let me know if you are interested in one, and we can talk price.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I know it is always a tradeoff, power on time versus size versus speed, but who makes a nice, compact scooter that has fast recharge, won't kill me if it dies and I need to swim back to the boat with it, can be made to float if it dies so I culd theoretically attach a sausage to it and retrieve it later, and all wrapped in a package that has good manufactuer repair support if needed?

So now the truth comes out, SIZE DOES MATTER! For a good scooter that isn't too big I recomend the mini-Gavin. It is relatively light (about 17-19 kg. or 35-40 lbs.), does not overpower the user and is again, relatively manuverable. Submerge has an excellent line of scooters that are quite quick and easily balanced for the individual divers needs. The Gavins (full sized) are also work horses. I have used the mini and standard sized short body Gavins, as well as the UV-18 from Submerge. Truth-be-told, I like the submerge scooter the best. They really kick diver butt!! Oh yeah, they are blast to run as well.

That is my 2 psi, at depth.

All scooters should be balanced so as to be slightly positive bouyant, so hooking them to an SMB should not be an issue. As far customer support, while I have not had any interaction with the above mentioned manufacterers, the divers that I dive with have, and they are complimentary of both.

Questions?

Country
    Canada

another vote for the X Scooter, top notch!! much lighter than the older pioneering scooters and very durable

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Ok Smurfy.... We've had this discussion too many times

Er.. I'm a bit biased, but I think I'll have to send my vote to GI3 and the Gavin...

Country
    USA

Some of the CCR crowd swear by the Zeuxo ADV 14

No stainless steel buckles on the nose to snag on anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast