• Always

15 45.45%
  • Usually

7 21.21%
  • On Occasion

7 21.21%
  • Never

4 12.12%
  • Tip? Don't eat yellow snow, there is your tip.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping on the Dive Boat

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Question Tipping on the Dive Boat

I was wondering what your thoughts on tipping Dive Masters/Mates, Captains, etc. when you are on a dive. I have noticed on my last few dives that the Captains have been “reminding” us to tip.

So, do you tip? Always, never, sometimes and why or why not, please explain.
    What is the proper tip amount? Who do you tip? Who don’t you tip?

I know tipping is very different from country to country so please state what area you are from.

I have somewhat mixed views on the subject myself. I feel it is a bit tacky for the Captain to remind us to tip. I understand they want to get the message across, so they should state that tips are appreciated on their paperwork somewhere, but I think making an announcement on the boat is a little overboard (pun intended).

When I was just beginning to dive, I always tipped the DM as I was new and usually needed help with something. Considering I used the DM’s services I felt a tip was appropriate. When my wife got certified and started to dive with me, I also tipped as she would need the help of the DM from time to time. Now that we have been diving together for as many dives as we have, we don’t want the help of the DM and usually don’t tip. Even when the DM is there waiting at the top of the dive ladder I always make it clear that the best way for them to help us is to stay out of our way. Of course if we ever need the help of the DM, if they go out of the way for us, or are especially nice, we do tip.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Ace

It really depends on how good the trip was. I don't really boat dive much, I'd rather just save the money and spend it on gear plus there's good beach diving around. They're already making a good amount and unless one crew member really helps you out I don't really feel obligated to tip. It might sound cheap but I don't just give money away for no reason. If a DM took you on a tour or something then toss him/her a bone. The cook is also one who deserves it, if the food is good and of course only if food is provided. Again I don't boat dive much at all but I don't have a problem not tipping if I didn't receive some extra help beyond the norm. Location: California

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I always tip the crew and never the Captain! They always work hard and are there to serve you and you are how they make money! Amount depends on service!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I always tip the crew and never the Captain! They always work hard and are there to serve you and you are how they make money! Amount depends on service!

I noticed you said you tip the crew and never the Captain with an exclamation point. Can you give us some details on your reasoning on this one?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

The Captain is or should be paid well for his license or he is involved in the ownership.... Etc.... The crew is usually young and do most of the work for you and their pays is in the bilge! So they need the tips and most boats the Captain is out side the division of the tips!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

I always tip the crew. They help me with my gear, and I always have at least 2 deco bottle and a scooter. They can make life well worth the effort, or miserable. The better the help, the better the tip. Had a kid help me and my 2 team mates on a particular dive. He came out with over $50.00 for his work. He did a damn good job, and earned it!

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

We typically tip the crew, in most cases we tip the DM and leave it to him/herto distribute between the other crew as they see fit. Similar to most restaurants, you tip the wait staff as they are the guys you are face to face with, but they usually have their own policies with regards to kitchen staff, bus boys, management etc.

If you get good service, tip well and let them know that's why. If you get bad service, tip (or not) appropriately and also, let them know why. If they know you weren't well looked after, they may change their attitude, if they think you're just a cheapskate nothing will change.

And, of course, as with any bar/restaurant, if you intend to be a regular customer, make it clear that you tip not only for today's experience, but also with the expectation of future service. In bars where I am a regular, I tend to get very good service, that's not a coincidence.

There was a recent article in Undercurrent on tipping, I'll dig it out and see what else they had to add to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    If you get good service, tip well and let them know that's why. If you get bad service, tip (or not) appropriately and also, let them know why. If they know you weren't well looked after, they may change their attitude, if they think you're just a cheapskate nothing will change.
    Fully agreed! Also if the service is bad, you simply don't go back because everyone always has a competitor wanting your business.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    And, of course, as with any bar/restaurant, if you intend to be a regular customer, make it clear that you tip not only for today's experience, but also with the expectation of future service. In bars where I am a regular, I tend to get very good service, that's not a coincidence.

Now that is a really good point to think about.

Registered Users

If it was down here in South Florida you heard the "tacky" announcement there is a reason for it. There are tourists (international) here that are not used to tip much and tipping on a boat is outside what they are used too. Even many restaurants on for instance Fort Lauderdale beach add 15-20% on ALL checks, so watch out.

I tip the DM but not the Captain as per reasons previously stated, he is the owner or is paid for his license. I also don't give the tip to a Captain and tell him to forward it to the DM since there are those that will pocket the money them selves.

To tell a DM to get out of the way is IMO wrong, tell em how you want it and they will let you do it your way as long as it is safe (they are locals and know about local conditions). Even if you tell them to not help you at all a normally good DM is still watching your back and catches you when you fail/fall.. i.e. all DMs are earning their tip and most are not paid at all by the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast